Corning Incorporated Field Construction Safety Coordinator in Albany, New York
This job posting is for a contingent resource on assignment with Corning Incorporated. This position could provide you with an opportunity to help Corning push the boundaries of technology while enjoying the benefits of working for Magnit. Magnit is a leading, global professional services and technology company and a certified “Great Place to Work” Magnit has been a leader in contingent workforce management since 1991 and work with leading Fortune 500 companies and other large organizations across the world.
Location - Remote, must be local to Kissimmee, FL.
Corning Optical Communications’ (COC) Engineering Services (ES) department needs an experienced Outside Plant (OSP) Construction Inspector to join our Project Services (PS) group. The successful candidate will be responsible for outside plant fiber optic projects in Florida.
This position is a remote work-from-home opportunity that requires a local presence that is no more than one and a half hours from the project site(s) assigned. Candidate must be able to travel to job sites daily. Position may require planned overnight travel.
The position primarily is responsible for observing, inspecting, and reporting on day-to-day construction crew activities for Fiber-to-the Home (FTTH) projects including SFU (single family), MDU (multi-dwelling), and FTTB (business) from construction to test and turn-up. Ideal candidate must be able to work on a job site as needed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Monitor fiber optic plant construction activities to ensure products are being installed within customer guidelines and manufacturer standard recommended procedures (SRP)
• Monitor work activities, inspections, and testing in accordance with approved quality plans, site surveillance plans, procedures, and processes
• Ensure compliance with customer and industry specifications/standards while OSP is being constructed
• Perform quality inspections for on-going and completed work utilizing established checklists and/or other quality related documents
• Visit project sites to evaluate progress and respond to Project Manager or customers’ concerns or questions. Direct contractor activities if needed
• With guidance from the Corning Project Manager, coordinate and drive construction crews (when required) to deliver intended short-term and long-term results
• Review drawings and specifications to become completely familiar with the project
• Communicate and follow up with customers’ requests as required about specific projects
• Work with Vendors, Sales, Program Managers, and Project Managers to ensure project success
• Accompany vendors on pre-construction site surveys to verify cable routing, identify any obstacles that may result in additional construction costs, and take field measurements
• Ensure vendors are submitting daily reports outlining construction progress on all installations located in the assigned area of responsibility
• Participate in weekly/monthly construction meetings to offer input for at risk projects
• Attend weekly project meetings as requested by the Project Manager and keep detailed meeting minutes for publishing to greater project team and leadership
• Provide support for material inventory audits as required
• Attend pre/post-installation meetings
• Enforce and adhere to safety rules and practices from all governing authorities
• Review permits and Right-Of-Way (ROW) considerations and associated requirements.
• Maintain records and prepare inspection reports
• Accurately document work being conducted on the project site
• Provide daily updates to Lead Project Manager on overall safety, quality, and production
• Other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience Requirements
• Approximately 3 years of underground and aerial utilities knowledge
• Approximately 3 years of Fiber and Outside Plant knowledge
• Valid US Driver's License, clean driving record
• High School diploma or equivalent required
• Safety-focused; History of adhering to safety procedures and practices
• Extensive, proven industry knowledge of aerial, buried, and underground fiber optic installation methodologies
• Ability to work independently and self-directed; take initiative in seeking efficiencies of processes
• Read and understand FTTX (fiber to the home) CAD and IQGeo designs
• Working understanding of fiber optic network architectures
• Practical use of with Microsoft Office products: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
• Organizational skills: ability to handle several projects concurrently
• Strong team player with the ability to adapt to diverse team members
• Customer and quality centric, with a strong work ethic
• A high level of time management, accountability, and prioritization skills
• Ability to handle rapidly changing priorities
• Attention to detail with focus on error-free work
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Sound problem solving and decision-making processes and skills
• Ability to maintain composure and professional demeanor at all times
• Result-oriented and responsive; utilizes network, SME’s and other available resources to facilitate driving tasks to closure
• Strong interpersonal skills to support customer interface, consultative activities, and work as part of a commercial team
• Working knowledge of fiber optic testing procedures
• 100% fluent in English
• Alignment with company mission, vision, and values
• Familiarity with Sitetracker project management software
• Understanding of RUS (Rural Utility Service) Codes
• Ability to troubleshoot potential warranty issues using Corning provided equipment such as Optical Time Domain Reflectometers (OTDR), Visual Fault Locators (VFL), and
Optical Test Sets
• Familiarization with Corning FlexNAP™ products
• Ability to read and understand maps, drawings, and diagrams for fiber construction
• Local travel within an hour and half of the project site (100%). Daily requirement to be in the field observing/inspecting construction crews but returning home every evening.
• Some travel with overnight is expected (10%)
• Must be able to work in a variety of physical positions, including climbing, sitting, standing, walking, and driving
• Regular exposure to all weather conditions, especially hot, humid and/or rainy spring, summer fall weather and cold snowy winter weather, combined with regular work time indoors in environmentally controlled conditions
• May be exposed to uncomfortable or distracting sounds or noise levels on sites of projects being managed or coordinated. When working on site, will be required to wear common protective safety equipment, such as safety glasses, gloves, hearing protection, hard hat, and safety vest.
• Willingness to work outside of normal scheduled business hours when necessary
• May be required to work nights if work restrictions dictate work to be completed at night
• Successful candidate shall be local to the Orlando / Kissimmee, Florida area
• Candidate cannot be any more than one and half hours from the furthest job site
This is the pay range that Magnit reasonably expects to pay someone for this position, however, as a supplier your expected pay range may differ: $27.69/hour-$30.67/hour.
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K (provided minimum eligibility hours are met)
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
- Corning Incorporated Jobs