Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson Junior Geologist/Engineer in Albany, New York
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 2,000 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT is currently ranked #59 on Engineering News-Record's list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
Position Summary: JMT of New York is seeking a Jr. Geologist/Engineer who will be responsible for supporting and contributing to various environmental site assessments and permit applications. Primary activities will be to perform field sampling tasks; oversee drilling activities; prepare soil/rock core logs and material descriptions; collect ground penetrating radar data; support engineering design tasks; tabulate and analyze data; create map products; and assist in report preparation. Some field work will be conducted at potentially contaminated sites. OSHA Health and Safety Training, including respirator fit testing, will be provided by JMT. Mine Site Safety Training may also be provided.
Compensation is $21 to $43 per hour, commensurate with experience, education, and certifications.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Prepare for field sampling activities by ordering field-test equipment; coordinating with drilling and laboratory testing contractors; organize, label and ship field samples.
- Travel to project sites and collect field data (some overnight stays may be required).
- Conduct field surveys (including GPS, ground penetrating radar) and site assessment efforts in support of environmental projects.
- Document methodologies and findings of research and field investigations.
- Analyze and manage data received from field investigations; determine site conditions and impacts relative to appropriate standards or guidance.
- Support role in environmental studies, Phase I/Phase II Environmental Site Assessments, Remedial Work Plans/Implementation and mine site evaluations.
- Support GIS and CAD mapping, desktop environmental analysis, permit form preparation.
- Prepare field data and impact assessments calculations, and drawings.
- Contribute to environmental technical reports, impact assessments, environmental inspection reports, and similar reports.
Nonessential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in Geology or Engineering (Environmental, Geotechnical specialty) or related field.
- 0-5 years professional experience
- Must be a New York State certified Engineer in Training (EIT) or Geologist in Training (GIT) within 1 year of hire date.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD or GIS programs
- Experience with environmental sampling techniques, soil classification, and report writing
- OSHA 40-HR HAZWOPER training
- Work is performed within a general office environment approximately 50-75% of the time. Office work is generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Office work is performed with adequate lighting and temperature, with no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc.
- Work is performed in the field and within a general office environment. Field work typically is approximately 25-50% of the time. Seasonally dependent weather includes heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Field work will require walking and carrying field equipment over typical outdoor terrain. Some lifting and carrying of field equipment (up to 25 lbs.) may be required, as needed.
JMT is an , and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Minimum Salary: 31200.00 Maximum Salary: 31200.00 Salary Unit: Yearly