GKN Aerospace, INC Senior Buyer - Amityville, NY in Amityville, New York
GKN Aerospace is the world s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 55 manufacturing locations in 14 countries, we serve over 90% of the world s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
Under the general direction of the Supply Chain Manager the Senior Buyer facilitates purchases of parts, equipment, and materials by developing sources of supply and monitoring supplier performance; obtaining required parts, equipment and materials, verifying receipt of items, authorizing payment, and managing and controlling inventory. JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
* Purchases material, parts, supplies, and equipment following established policies and procedure and optimizes price, delivery, and terms; purchases complex items where detailed specification is involved.
* This seasoned-level position is involved in developing specifications and requires analysis to balance the value of competing bids; guided by established policy and with minimum supervision, carries out broad assignments usually involving the purchase of important and critical items requiring extensive or specialised knowledge and experience.
* Solicits bids and quotations; reviews and negotiates purchase contacts for major commitments; analyses and evaluates bids to determine optimum value; elects suppliers, issues purchase orders, follows up, and expedites as necessary' evaluates vendor reliability.
* Monitors supplier performance by ensuring that product is delivered as scheduled and meets specifications; maintaining appropriate files and records of meetings with suppliers to ensure company requirements are met and that supplier is aware of their performance.
* Develops new supply sources where vendors and suppliers are inadequate.
* Negotiates contracts where losses, occurring through errors in judgment, would seriously impact company operations.
* Discusses defective or unacceptable goods or services with inspection or quality control personnel, users, and others to determine source of trouble and take corrective actions.
* Negotiates service contracts and approves extra work claims.
* Conducts value analysis studies.
* Provides guidance and training to lower-level Buyers.
* Interviews supplier representatives regarding specifications, costs, inspection and similar problems relating to parts and equipment.
* Perform other related duties as required.
* Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university OR 8 or more years buying experience in a manufacturing environment in lieu of a degree.
* 5 years of buying experience in a manufacturing environment.
* U.S. Person per ITAR regulations to comply with export compliance and site SSA requirements.
* GKN experience
* Working knowledge of the legal aspects of procurement and contract law.
* Knowledge of Bill of Material (BOM) structure, and of MRP processes
* Knowledge of import freight movement.
* Ability to understand technical drawings/blue prints and identify material call-outs.
* Experience with and knowledge of metals, composites, plastics, and/or advanced alloys commodities.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Employer's Job# 2902
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.