EAST SIDE HOUSE SETTLEMENT Activity Specialist - (2020-2021 School Year) in BRONX, New York
Extended Day Program Director
Urban Institute of Mathematics --650 Hollywood Avenue, Bronx, NY 10465
East Side House Settlement is a community resource in the South Bronx. We believe education is the key that enables all people to create an economic and civic opportunities for themselves, their families and the communities. We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working and creative leader who shares our passion for providing exceptional programming to children and families in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the South Bronx & Inwood section in Manhattan.
East Side House is looking for a highly-motivated, organized, and supportive person to work at East Side House Youth After-School Academy, a literacy-focused after school program for students in grades 6 through 8 from high-poverty communities in Bronx, NY. The Activity Specialist’s primary responsibility is to design and lead enrichment activities for students. We are seeking creative professionals with experience working with the youth in the following (but not limited to) areas: Music, visual arts, martial arts, media technology, dance, sports and recreation (soccer, tennis, basketball, volleyball or lacrosse), health awareness and community leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities shall include but not limited to the following:
1. Ensure the safety and engagement of students in assigned activities
2. Develop and facilitate weekly activity lesson plans
3. Facilitate purposeful activities that foster the development of new skills in students, while reinforcing skills/information previously taught
4. Assist in all activities needed for the orderly operation of the program, inclusive of: supervising students during snack/supper, facilitating dismissal, conducting field trips, hosting special events, etc.
5. Work with Group Leaders, engaging them in the lesson plan development process and modeling activity facilitation to help Group Leaders develop professionally and eventually to become Activity Specialists
6. Provide strong classroom and behavioral management skills, ensuring that all participants follow agency and program rules
7. Assist in organization of quarterly student presentation, performances, and events
8. Complete all projects and tasks as requested, while ensuring the safety and security of all participants and the smooth operation of programming.
9. Assist in all activities to ensure the orderly operation of the program, inclusive of: supervising students during snack/supper, facilitating dismissal and completing daily administrative paperwork (e.g. keeping attendance, time sheets, etc.)
10. Attend and supervise students during special projects and field trips, including those which occur outside of regular program hours
11. Complete 15 hours of professional development each calendar year. Demonstrate key competencies including: initiative, teamwork, cooperation, preparedness, professionalism, reliability and a willingness to continuously improve
12. Attend all meetings, training workshops and special events, as required, inclusive of those outside of program hours
13. Complete all assigned projects and tasks on time
14. Adhere to all ESH policies, practices, and procedures
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
1. Appropriate training or certification in their area of specialty; Associates college degree preferred
2. Entrepreneur mind-set
3. Minimum of two years’ experience working with elementary or middle school-aged children (in-school/out-of-school settings), preferably in a racially, ethically, and socio-economically diverse urban community
4. Exceptional group management, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
5. Goal oriented and focused on outcome and results
6. Excellent time management and organizational skills
7. Strong verbal and written communication skills
8. Competency in youth development and child care
9. Demonstrate the ability to engage, motivate and effectively work to create interactive academic and/or enrichment activities that are age-appropriate
10. Genuine enthusiasm for developing professional skills through training opportunities and field practice Ability to work as part of a team within a school community
11. Ability to communicate and work effectively and respectfully with a broad range of diverse constituent.
12. Knowledge of DYCD and DOH mandates
13. Knowledge of classroom management.
14. Knowledge of the following programs: Zoom, Microsoft teams, Google classroom, and Google meet.
• Department of Health Fingerprint Clearance
• Department of Education Fingerprint Clearance
• State Central Registry (SCR) Clearance, ($25.00 Fee)
• Staff Exclusion List (SEL) Clearance
• Physical examination and TB test
This role has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional school environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is generally a sedentary role; however, some filing and site visits are required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Expected Work Schedule:
This is a seasonal part-time position. Must be available during after-school hours, generally 2:30 p.m. through 5:30 p.m.; 10 hours per week (not inclusive of meetings); Monday-Friday during the school year; 8:00 a.m. through 6:00 p.m. on school holidays. Workdays/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
Temporarily due to COVID-19. Subject to change based on public health conditions evolve.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
Absolutely No Phone Calls!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.