New York Botanical Garden Camp Explainers in Bronx, New York
Basic Job Functions
Assist educator with the implementation of the Summer Science Camp Program. Prepare and clean-up materials such as science supplies and craft utensils. Assist with leading groups of up to 18 campers in explorations of NYBG gardens as well as outdoor games and science investigations under the supervision of the educator.
Additionally, this position supports, through actions and conduct, NYBG’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility initiatives and helps to build and maintain an inclusive organization culture throughout the institution.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
• Participate in training and activity preparation prior to start of camps, June 2024 . Open to learning new things and sharing enthusiasm for science and nature with campers.
• Assist Camp Educator with implementation of activities and lessons, including set-up, group facilitation and clean-up according to COVID protocols set out in NYBG Reopening Committee guidelines.
• Help campers with daily tasks, i.e., participating in activities, helping campers keep track of personal items, and escorting small groups of campers to the bathroom.
• Outgoing and friendly with the Campers
• Build strong relationships with Campers and Camp Educator
• Must be able to commit to actively participating in training, June 27 & 28, 9:30am-4:30pm and at least 3 weeks of camp, July 1-19, 2024 and/or July 29-August 16, 2024, 8am-4pm OR 9am-5pm.
Outgoing and friendly personality with excellent oral communications skills essential. Candidate must have participated in the Explainer Program and risen to Advanced Explainer level in good standing. Candidate must be responsible, punctual, professional, motivated, self-starter and able to work well as a member of a team and especially comfortable working children. An interest in science, nature and/or education, must be willing to work outdoors in all types of weather. Foreign language is helpful but not required.
If you require an accommodation for any part of the application process, please notify the Human Resources department at HR@nybg.org . EOE/BIPOC/F/Persons with disabilities/Veterans