EAST SIDE HOUSE SETTLEMENT Education Specialist (2020-2021 School Year) in BRONX, New York
$42.00 per Hour
Urban Institute of mathematics
Throggs Neck, Bronx
650 Hollywood Avenue,
Bronx, NY 10465
Department Director of Middle Schools/ Program Director
July 15, 2020
East Side House Settlement is a community resource in the South Bronx. We believe education is the key that enables all people to create economic and civic opportunities for themselves, their families and the communities. We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working and creative leader who shares our passion for providing exceptional programming to children and families.
As a part of East Side House Settlement, the Education Specialist will be a part of a team responsible for guiding the design and implementation of instructional programming for Middle Schools. The Education Specialist will facilitate development and execution of academic interventions and learning strategies to support the individual learning strengths of our diverse population of learners.
Duties and Responsibilities of Education Specialist shall include but not limited to the following:
1. Under the supervision of Department Director, with guidance from the Program Director, assist Group Leaders and Activity Specialist with planning and implementation of engaging, standards-aligned units, lesson plans, and projects
2. Must have a strong understanding of the school’s culture, needs, and has experience with curriculum implementation
3. Consult with the Program Director regarding thematic frameworks, implementation of curricula, and strategies for supporting deeper understanding of the principles of youth development in front line workers
4. Forge relationships with school personnel to ensure that curriculum and instruction meet the needs of a diverse population of learners, is aligned with STEAM, Common Core State Standards, and meets contractual expectations and benchmarks
5. Work in collaboration with the Program Director to monitor program data, consult on program improvement, and support ongoing communication with school leadership
6. Meet with Program Director for planning, consultation, and staff development ideas monthly.
7. Provide on-going instructional and curriculum development support for staff and interns by conducting observations, on-site coaching, and resource development
8. Must design assessment and goal setting instruments and oversee staff and interns through implementation of these processes quarterly.
9. Assist Program Director with training and professional development workshops
10. Must demonstrate an understanding and practices of the principle of positive youth development
11. Attend relevant meetings, trainings, workshops, outside events and organization-wide activities as required, and as appointed by the Department Director
12. Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program by providing close supervision during activities
13. Provide fun, innovative age-appropriate program activities and develop lesson plans to be conducted by Group Leaders
14. Establish positive working relationship with staff, parents and participants by communicating effectively
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
1. Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters in Education preferred
2. 3+ years of experience in the field of education, preferably including a combination of classroom teaching and administrative experience, in both school and out of school time settings
3. Demonstrated record in achieving results with low-income, urban adolescents
4. Familiarity with research-based approaches to hands-on, experiential, community-based and/or project based learning models, differentiated instruction, mixed -skill and age groupings, culturally relevant teaching practices, formative assessment techniques and working with English Language and students who are striving learners
5. Strong knowledge of the academic and social needs of youth who are both in and out of school
6. Ability to participate as part of interdisciplinary team
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills
8. Understanding of and ability to meet performance-based outcomes
9. Ability to adapt quickly to change and work within a results-orientated environment
10. Knowledge of classroom management.
11. Computer literacy
Expected Work Schedule
This is a seasonal part-time position, working up to 12 hours a week. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday. Workdays/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
Temporarily due to COVID-19. Subject to change based on public health conditions evolve.
• Department of Health Fingerprint Clearance
• Department of Education Fingerprint Clearance
• Department of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance
• State Central Registry (SCR) Clearance ($25.00 fee)
• Staff Exclusion List (SEL) Clearance
• Health Statement
Required Online trainings
• Mandated Reporter, 2 hours
• Health & Safety Training, 5 hours
This job operates in a professional school environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is generally a sedentary role; however, some filing and site visits are required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Absolutely No Phone Calls!
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.