Chocobar Cortes NYC Head Chef (Bilingual English/Spanish) in Bronx, New York
We are seeking a Head Chef to launch the opening of a unique & growing Caribbean food concept, from the leading Caribbean chocolate company, Chocolate Cortes. Candidates must enjoy & be proficient in both sweet as well as savory concoctions, & be able to comply with corporate menus. Must have back of the house production experience, as well as inventory management, & costing. Head Chef is responsible for creating & leading a cohesive passionate back of house team. Minimum 5 years' experience & a culinary degree from an accredited institution. Experience opening restaurants preferred. Any certification in chocolate, confectionary, or pastry are welcome. Catering experience important. Food safety certification required. Must be bilingual, Spanish & English. We are committed to building a diverse staff, so we strongly encourage BIPOC & LGBTQ+ candidates to apply. Candidate must be able to travel for training to the Caribbean. Health & other benefits to be discussed.
JOB OVERVIEW: Responsible for the management of all aspects of the kitchen, in accordance with owner standards. Direct, implements & maintains a food, cooking, quality & management philosophy, which serves as a guide to the kitchen staff.
1. Direct the preparation, seasoning, & cooking of salads, soups, fish, meats, vegetables, desserts, or other foods.
2. Plan & price menu items, orders supplies, & keep records & accounts.
3. Supervises and participates in cooking and baking & the preparation of foods.
4. Writes weekly schedules according to business & projected goals for labor dollars or percentages.
5. Uses labor dollars & menu costing programs to price labor & food cost percentages.
6. Must participate in checking of all purchased supplies for quality & account for each delivered item.
STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS: Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, other employees or guests.
ESSENTIAL MANAGEMENT RESPONSABILITIES:
1. To identify and develop New Business Opportunities.
Recommend, propose promotional efforts and ideas to further increase restaurant exposure and sales.
2. Represent Owners in community, government and related association meetings, as needed.
1. Culinary college degree
2. At least five years' experience in culinary field
3. Ability to communicate (multiple languages) with guests, co-workers & management
4. Ability to compute mathematical calculations
5. Ability to work all stations
6. Food handing certificate
7. Knowledge of food costs controls
1. Ensure restaurants standards, policies & procedures w/restaurant staff
2. Prioritize & organize work assignments; delegate work.
3. Direct performance of kitchen staff & follow up w/corrections where needed.
4. Motivate kitchen staff & maintain a cohesive team.
5. Ascertain kitchen training needs & provide such training.
6. Be a clear thinker, analyze & resolve problems exercising good judgment.
7. Focus attention on details.
8. Suggestively develop menu items, weekly & timely special dishes.
9. Exert physical effort in transporting equipment & wares.
10. Endure abundant physical movements in carrying out job duties.
11. Ensure security & confidentiality of guests & restaurant information.
12. Work without direct supervision.
DETAILED WORK ACTIVITES:
1. Must expedite the pass-through cook's window to maintain proper consistency in food quality & service.
2. Conduct training for personnel
3. Cook in quantity
4. Direct and coordinate food or beverage preparation
5. Monitor worker performance
. Inspect grooming & attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
7. Cook meals
8. Investigate customer complaints