SUNY Maritime College Marine Environmental Science (PAID Internship) - SUNY Maritime College in Bronx, New York
**SUNY Maritime College**
**Location:** Bronx, NY **Category:** Administrative & Professional **Posted On:** Mon May 17 2021 **Job Description:**
Apply your knowledge and passion for Marine Science Education as an integral part of SUNY Maritime's Adventure Camp for students in 3rd -9th grade. For nearly a decade, this summer camp has ignited middle school students' interest in science and aquatic activities including sailing, power boating, swimming, kayaking and explorations in marine environmental science.
SUNY Maritime College, located in Throggs Neck (Bronx), New York, is looking for responsible, motivated, fun-loving interns that will develop, test, implement and evaluate a hands-on marine environmental science curriculum and lesson plans for its three, 2-week sessions of Maritime Adventure Camp. Position is from late May through August 6 (May-June: flexible hours, work from home; June 21- Aug 6, Summer Camp). Candidates given preference based on core studies at SUNY Maritime College in Marine Environmental Science curriculum relevant to internship.
SUNY Maritime College is committed to further strengthening its inclusive campus community, one that comprises a diverse faculty, student body, and staff. Maritime College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, and members of underrepresented groups.
- Using available and acquirable resources, develop marine science curriculum and lesson plans connected to New York City/State Board of Education Standards for 3rd -9th grade students to be implemented with campers participating in two-week long Maritime Adventure Camps.
- Develop curriculum and lesson plans prior to camp, in May through mid-June.
- Prepare and teach daily, classroom and hands-on marine science lessons and activities
- Collaborate and work with counselors, counselors in training (CIT) and other camp staff on activities.
- Ensure a safe, fun, learning environment.
- Evaluate and adjust curriculum and lesson plans as needed.
- Acquire, prepare, maintain and properly clean and stow all equipment.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Waterfront Director
- Pursuing degree in marine environmental science/marine biology/environmental education or a related field; or equivalent training and knowledge, preferably with teaching experience.
- Passion for sharing your love of the marine environment and aquatic activities with children.
- Fun-loving, sense of adventure, team player, positive can-do attitude.
- Ability to work well with others as a collaborative team player and take initiative as a leader.
- Must meet the physical/medical standards specified in the special notes section of Article 48 \[Section G\] of the New York City Department of Health code: (g) Every staff member including kitchen and maintenance staff shall have had a recent medical examination including regular tuberculin testing as approved by the Department.
- Experience working in camp, nature or marine education center setting or with children
- Experience with US Sailing REACH Curriculum or other STEM programs
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification
- Experience Fishing
- Waterfront Lifeguard Certification; Water Safety Instructor Certification
- US Sailing Level 1 or Basic Keelboat Certification
- US POWERBOATING Safe Powerboat Handling Certification
- PADI or NAUI SCUBA Certification
**Compensation & Benefits**
- $3,000 stipend for summer
- Possible dorm room housing available
- May qualify for SUNY Maritime College Environmental Science Internship (**ES 505** - 3.0 credits) upon approval of Science Department.
- Preparation time from mid-May to mid-June (flexible hours, work from home or on-site)
- On-site camp training and orientation: June 21 - June 25; followed by three 2-week camp sessions (Mon-Fri, June 28- August 6) and post camp debrief and pack-up through August 13.
***We are continuously monitoring ongoing developments with the novel Coronavirus COVID-19. Updates regarding Waterfront Adventure Camp 2021, will be communicated as information becomes available. COVID-19 protocols are, and will be both adhered to and enforced. Please note the Program is contingent upon favorable governing pandemic procedures and guidance.***
**Budget Title:** Technical Specialist (CSL)
**Local Title**: Marine Environmental Science Educator
**Line \#:** Various
For those desiring additional information, please contact the Waterfront at
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Veterans/Disabled/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For our full non-discrimination statement, see:
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
SUNY Maritime is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning and working environment.
Pursuant to [Executive Order 161](https://goer.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2018/07/eo-161.pdf), no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303 or email at
. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at [www.sunymaritime.edu/university-police](https://goer.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2018/07/eo-161.pdf)