St Francis College Assistant Coach, Cross Country and Track and Field in Brooklyn Heights, New York
Position: Assistant Coach, Cross Country and Track and Field
Reports to: Head Coach, Cross County and Track and Field
Job Summary: On a full-time basis, assist in all phases of the day-to-day operation of the St. Francis College (“College”) Men’s and Women’s Cross Country and Track and Field teams. Responsible for the recruitment of prospective student-athletes by organizing a recruiting program and for performing recruiting services in accordance with applicable Northeast Conference and NCAA regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coach and supervise all competition related activities and all scheduled competitions.
• Plan and conduct team practices, arrange practice schedules, order appropriate uniforms and supplies, and insure that uniforms and equipment are in ready-for-use condition.
• Monitor the academic progress of student-athletes, including monitoring team study halls, and working with the College’s Athletic Academic Advisor in monitoring the student-athletes’ performance in the classroom.
• In conjunction with the College’s Director of Strength and Conditioning, coordinate and supervise all out-of-season workouts and weight-training programs.
• With the assistance of the Assistant Director of Athletics, prepare the teams’ annual competition schedule, keeping in mind that missed class time shall be kept to a minimum.
• In conformity with NCAA and Northeast Conference policies, contact appropriate representatives of potential opponents, proof draft contest contracts and insure the accuracy and completeness of tentative schedules.
• Assist the College’s Director of Sports Information and Director of Marketing in the preparation of press releases, the planning and conducting of promotional activities on behalf of the team, including camps, special appearances and other activities as directed.
• Maintain compliance with all applicable NCAA, Northeast Conference, and St. Francis College regulations and policies.
• Coordinate campus visits by prospective student-athletes and their families, evaluate prospective student-athletes in terms of their likely contributions to the success of the program and the likelihood of their academic success.
• Conduct mail-outs to all prospective student-athletes, and coordinate all aspects of the recruitment process with the Athletics’ Director of Compliance.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree is required (graduate degree preferred)
• Collegiate coaching experience (NCAA Division I or II level is preferred)
• Division I or II participation in cross country, track and field
• Possession of a basic knowledge of the sport, a basic understanding of coaching strategies, and an ability to enhance athlete development
• Ability to recruit qualified student-athletes to an academically competitive institution
• Ability to handle stressful situations in a professional manner
• Ability to promote an atmosphere of compliance within the program and monitor the activities of individuals directly and indirectly involved with the program
• Ability to work successfully with other departments and constituency groups on campus and in the community
• Ability to motivate and develop student-athletes academically
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Commitment to working with multicultural populations
• Ability to work evening and weekend hours
• Ability to travel for work-related activities (e.g., competitions and recruiting)
• Strong organizational skills resulting in the ability to prioritize workload and meet short-term deadlines on a regular basis
• Ability to assist the head coach with managing competition schedules and budgets, fundraising and teaching life skills to student-athletes
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Documents
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
• Knowledge of and commitment to NCAA rules
• Knowledge of and commitment to Northeast Conference rules and policies
• Culturally sensitive, caring and friendly with a deep understanding and appreciation of a multi-cultural college community and the Franciscan traditions of St. Francis College.
St. Francis College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and we are strongly committed to increasing the diversity of our faculty, students, and the curriculum. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply.