St Francis College Tutor (Part-time) in Brooklyn Heights, New York
Position: Tutor (Part-time)
Department: Academic Enhancement and Freshman Studies
Reports to: Director of the Academic Enhancement Center
Job Summary: Provide tutoring services in any of the following disciplines: Math (Pre-Calculus and above, and Statistics), Sciences (Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, Physics), Accounting, Taxation, Economics, Finance, Business Law , Writing, Social Sciences, Humanities and/or Study Skills to students requesting appointments in the College’s Academic Enhancement Center.
Schedule: Flexibility in part-time work hours is required to accommodate changes to class schedules, enrollment and other factors throughout the College’s academic year. The normal work schedule for this position will consist of approximately 15-hours per week, typically between the hours of 8am and 6pm, Monday through Friday with occasional weekend/evening opportunities.
Salary: $16.50 per hour
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Tutor students individually or in scheduled group study sessions to provide students with a better understanding of the subject matter or discipline.
• Assist students with exam preparation and lab reports.
• Attend training sessions and tutor meetings as required.
• On a limited basis and if qualified in the specific discipline, assist students in summer workshops as may be offered by the Academic Enhancement Center.
• Serve as a proctor for examinations, as needed.
• Perform additional duties as assigned by the Director of Academic Enhancement.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline; Master’s degree preferred.
• Tutoring and/ or teaching experience in a college setting preferred.
• Must possess excellent communication skills, and have the ability to work with students from a variety of backgrounds and range of skill levels.
• An appreciation and understanding of working in an inclusive, engaging and diverse college environment.
• Culturally sensitive, caring and friendly with a deep understanding and appreciation of a multi-cultural college community and the Franciscan traditions of St. Francis College.
St. Francis College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and we are strongly committed to increasing the diversity of our faculty, students, and the curriculum. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply.