Good Shepherd Services Assistant Director in Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn Frontiers High School staff are open-minded, forward-thinking, collaborative lifelong learners who thrive in a fast-paced atmosphere. We trust that you know how to build relationships and engage students and families. The Assistant Director supports student learning, development and progress toward graduation through on site and formal supervision of the advocate counselors’ individual and group work practice. Responsibilities also include developing relationships with families, working in partnership with the Department of Education staff and providing information/referral to appropriate resources on an as needed basis. All work is done in collaboration with the Director. Our mission is to provide youth who face the greatest obstacles to successful high school completion with the supports; experiences and opportunities they need to graduate prepared to be socially responsible young adults ready to participate fully in the life of their communities.
Reports to: DIRECTOR, Brooklyn Frontiers High School
Location: 112 Schermerhorn Street, Brooklyn NY 11201
Hours: 35 Hours/Week; Exempt, 8A.M. to 4P.M., With Occasional Evening and Saturday Hours
Major Duties of the Assistant Director:
• Supervise advocate counselors, including all aspects of outreach, academic counseling, programming, case management and group work
• Work with Director to hire, train and supervise BFHS staff and interns
• Demonstrate leadership and partnership through team planning and decision-making within the administration team
• Assume responsibility for all parent coordinator activities in collaboration with the DOE
• Develop and supervise group work strategies that support student’s skill development and build on youth competencies
• Perform and oversee family interventions to support family engagement and participation in the school community and the lives of their youth
• Refer youth and families to appropriate resources both within the Good Shepherd Services (GSS) program network and community organizations
• Plan and schedule the school day as well as special activities and outings
• Work collaboratively with GSS and DOE staff to create a caring school community
• Assist in the development and implementation of special events, after-school activities, and summer programming.
• Ensure that all appropriate paper work is done in a timely, efficient and professional manner
• Assist and coordinate intake schedule and telephone intake
• Generate data required for statistical reporting as needed
• Take a leadership role in establishing and maintaining a safe environment, and assist with crisis intervention as needed
• Participate in staff and team meetings, and assist with the planning and facilitation of some meetings
Assistant Director Qualifications:
• Master’s degree in social work or counseling strongly preferred
• Experience and demonstrated skill in working with youth and their families in a high school setting
• Experience in supervisory, leadership and/or accountability roles
• Must have a demonstrated ability in planning, facilitation and coordination of group work
• Must have excellent communication, written and organizational skills
• Must be knowledgeable of youth development and able to implement best practices to achieve desirable outcomes.
• Must be able to attend outside community meetings and work extended hours as needed
• Willingness and ability to acquire SIFI certification
• Valid driver’s license
• Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
• Willingness and ability to perform the Director responsibilities in his/her absence
Good Shepherd Services is a leading multi-service agency with more than 85 programs that serve over 30,000 youth and families each year – and builds on their strengths to help them gain skills for success. At Good Shepherd we respect the dignity and worth of every person and reject intolerance, inequity and injustice in whatever form it may take. Voted one of the top 100 places to work in NYC by Crain’s New York, Good Shepherd Services offers a fantastic work environment, a collaborative team dedicated to fulfilling our mission, and an amazing array of benefits. Join our team and help make a difference!
All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Good Shepherd Services, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness and ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.
Good Shepherd Services is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, participants, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.