SCO Family of Services Education Specialist in Brooklyn, New York
The Education Specialist is responsible for leading staff in the creation and implementation of a theme/project-based curriculum that is rooted in literacy. Lesson plans must be structured and engaging and aligned with the New York State Learning Standards and Common Core Curriculum. The Education Specialist oversees the curriculum and planning process and must ensure that activities meet high standards and are age/grade appropriate.
- Meet and collaborate with program staff and school administrators to identify best practice in designing the Family Dynamics after-school and/or summer camp program curriculum. Provide and maintain materials and resources for the program.
- Coordinate special events in collaboration with site-based staff. Conduct regularly scheduled staff meetings to ensure that quality programming is being executed at all times.
- Support onsite part-time staff in their day to day implementation of lesson plans. Facilitate trainings and conduct observations of onsite part-time staff.
- Actively participate in department-wide meetings and staff trainings.
- Represent the agency in meetings with outside organizations and in various venues.
- Works closely alongside the Director of School Based Services and in collaboration with the Site Director to provide a quality educational and structured learning experience for Family Dynamics participants.
- Offices are in various schools and community centers throughout Brooklyn, NY.
- Part-Time Seasonal/Temporary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SCO Family of Services is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Master’s Degree (Education, Arts Education or related field)
- Teacher’s License and knowledge of NYS Learning Standards and Common Core Curriculum.
- Experience working with children under the age of 13 years.
- Requires effective oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills and experience in curriculum development.
- Strong knowledge of child development and enrichment programming important.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet expected timelines.
- Previous experience working in an arts-related environment is a plus.
- Be team players.
- Have a strong sensitivity to cultural differences present among staff and clients within our organization.
- Possess a strong belief in people’s ability to grow and change; forge a mutually respectful partnership with persons served and their families.
- Ability to set limits and maintain helping role of practitioner and to intervene appropriately.
Job: *EDUCATION SPECIALIST -736
Title: Education Specialist
Location: New York-Brooklyn-Cypress Hills
Requisition ID: 42877