The Jewish Board Handyman in Brooklyn, New York
The Handyman position is a physically active role performing a variety of general building services including but not limited to: repair, operation, general upkeep, maintenance, and safety and security duties. This is a union position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the overall maintenance and operations of buildings and grounds; ensuring that the facility is clean, properly functional, in good repair, and safe; Performing basic grounds work including, but not limited to: planting/pruning, mowing, raking, bagging, trimming, clipping, planting, watering, weeding; Seasonal maintenance, including snow removal as needed
- Responsible for basic building repairs such as plumbing, carpentry, painting, plastering, electrical and HVAC and to other building related systems
- Responsible for opening/closing program buildings, and operating basic building systems (security locksets, alarms, lighting, HVAC, fire safety, utilities etc.)
- Managing trash removal and recycling as per building requirements NYC DOS regulations
- Cleaning, lubricating, and repairs; maintaining, organizing and proper storage all required tools and equipment; Responsible for proper use of hand and power tools, ladders / lifts, personal safety gear, etc.
- Responsible for documenting/reporting all facilities, building, unit or property related issues to supervisor, including all safety/operational issues; Observing/reporting all external work performed by vendors, and third parties; and facilitating access to work areas
- Moving/transporting office furniture, equipment and supplies in /around building(s) and grounds in the course of executing their duties
- Appropriate use of agency vehicles in the course of performing related job duties and as directed by management
- Provide coverage to alternate agency units/buildings as required
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalency is highly preferred
- A current, valid clean Driver's license is required , and must be maintained throughout the course of employment
- Five (5) years of experience in building construction/maintenance/repair; an Educational/Trade certificate in a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of experience
- Strong mechanical aptitude, and well-rounded hands on mechanical skills
- Must be proficient in speaking, reading and writing the English language at a high school level; able to understand and process written directives and work orders
- Ability to work well with people, with strong customer service skills
- Ability to work in indoor and outdoor environments, in all weather conditions
- Ability to predominantly work on their feet during working hours/throughout the course of the day
- Ability to lift & carry fifty (50) pounds; able to bend, reach, push, pull, load, unload, climb, etc.; including the ability to work safely from a six (6) foot ladder or OSHA approved work platform
- Required to attend and successfully complete all safety, security, and other trainings provided by The Jewish Board, including, but not limited to: equipment use, OSHA, DEP, etc.