Brooklyn Community Services Program Site Director PS 21-After School in Brooklyn, New York
BCS After School Education Programs provide academic and recreational opportunities to children grades K-5. The ASE Programs are offered every weekday from 2:00 pm-6:00 pm, Saturdays from 10:00 am, and extended hours during the summer and school holidays. Programs are located in Brownsville, East NY, & Bedford Stuyvesant Bklyn.
The position of Program Dir. is a critical, visible position requiring exceptional leadership, strong management experience & a successful track record of working w/government contracts & nonprofit organizations providing social services. The Dir. should be highly flexible in dealing w/the challenges of developing new programs & working to meet the needs of the community. The Program Dir. should have experience w/community-based services for youth, children & families, including working
w/students in a Dept. of Education setting.
The Director should have proven ability to manage a professional staff & interact with the community. S/he must be a hands-on strategic thinker, a planner & problem solver, prepared to lead & direct staff through change & program development. Excellent communication skills are critical. The Dir. must be comfortable communicating w/the people who receive services & their families, & equally comfortable in training staff, presenting before elected officials, public agency administrators & members of the community.
- Report to Division Dir.
- Supervision & coverage for direct reports: Assistant, BCS Teachers, & BCS Assistant Teachers
- Provide On-Site coverage for staff when needed; Oversee the day-to-day activities/events of the After School site
- Develop educa'nal & recreational summer & school year programming in accordance w/DYCD & DOH/SACC guidelines; Ensure programs are effective & designed to achieve measurable goals in line w/BCS mission & DYCD contractual obligations in collaboration with DOE
- Facilitate positive partnership & collaboration w/DOE Principal & Staff
- Direct contact & reporting to DYCD Program Mgr., oversight responsibility of DYCD Site/Audit visits & attendance at DYCD Director meetings
- Oversee & monitor DYCD Connect Database to ensure program is meeting contract compliance reporting, enrollment numbers & rates of participation, including pulling weekly ROP/ADA & enrollment reports to review in supervision w/program staff & Division Director
- Engage & monitor all Co-locator & Sub-contractor relationships for After School site
- Plan, implement & support all recruitment, enrollment, retention & referral efforts of ASE participants to ensure contractual requirements are met
- Coordinate & attend all PTA & SLT meetings; Coordinate & ensure compliance w/all Youth Council meetings
- Maintain inventory of supplies & equipment ensuring budget mandates are followed
- Recruitment, hiring, training, scheduling, performance evals & payroll for all After School staff
- Exp. w/effective management of crisis intervention, handling mental health & medical issues w/participants & working w/people w/histories of trauma.
- Exp. in working w/children w/special needs & understanding Individual Educ'nal Plans.
- Develop & implement staff professional development workshops responsive to youth & community needs.
- Participate in cross-agency working groups & committees to achieve agency goals; attend training seminars, division staff meetings, & community meetings.
- Bachelor's Degree w/strong management & youth development exp. (5 yrs. or more) requ'ed; MSW or equiv. Master's Degree preferred
- Must be eligible for SACC certif.
- Profic. in typing; responding to emails, & phone calls
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office; Google Docs; Spreadsheets; & Calendar Development
- Excellent leadership, communication, supervisory & team-b ilding skills, including ability to motivate, align staff efforts to changing priorities & approaches, set goals, delegate responsibilities, & manage staff performance