Good Shepherd Services Tutor in Brooklyn, New York
Good Shepherd Services is a leading multi-service agency with more than 85 programs that serve over 30,000 youth and families each year – and builds on their strengths to help them gain skills for success. At Good Shepherd we respect the dignity and worth of every person and reject intolerance, inequity and injustice in whatever form it may take. Voted one of the top 100 places to work in NYC by Crain’s New York, Good Shepherd Services offers a fantastic work environment, a collaborative team dedicated to fulfilling our mission, and an amazing array of benefits. Join our team and help make a difference!
REPORTS TO: Community School Director
LOCATION: 797 Bushwick Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11221
HOURS: 12-15 hours a week (Summer Position)
JOB SUMMARY: The Tutor for Math, Science, English and History at Bushwick Leaders High School for Academic Excellence develops connections with students and meets with them individually as well as in groups for tutoring to support all four core subjects. The Tutor will also assist students complete NX assignments that’s not completed from the school year.
• Recruit students for tutoring, creating relationships with students as well as teachers to build a tutoring roster. Take initiative and work independently in the school setting, reaching out to teachers and students and arranging tutoring sessions.
• Help create and support an environment of academic support during in school and after school programming that is conducive to effective learning, including designing and using creative, out-of-the-box educational activities and that promote engagement.
• Liaise and meet with school faculty regarding classroom work and assignments, as well as individual student needs.
• Observe classes in order to understand what assignments are given, to observe teacher styles as well as student participation and learning.
• Organize and implement systems to support, NX schoolwork.
• Contribute to planning and actualizing of long-term and short-term objectives for the after-school tutoring program in conjunction with the Community School Director.
• Partner with school guidance counselors and teachers as well as parents to create a comprehensive plan for students who are struggling academically.
• Take initiative and work independently in the school setting, reaching out to teachers and students and arranging tutoring sessions.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Associate degree required.
• Fluent Spanish-speaking required
• Experience in teaching preferred, or experience in tutoring required
• Experience with high-school adolescents required
• Must possess effective instructional delivery techniques and excellent communication skills.
• Must possess knowledge of the needs of students requiring remedial reading instruction.
• Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school colleagues, school administrators, parents and students.
Good Shepherd Services is an equal opportunity employer that is proudly committed to becoming an anti-racist and multicultural organization that stands up for justice and equity. We welcome prospective employees from diverse backgrounds, for administrative support and direct service and leadership roles, who will join us on that journey, uphold our values and approach, and believe in our mission. Additionally, we aim to have a racially representative leadership and workforce that is reflective of the communities we work in partnership with.
Good Shepherd Services is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, participants, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and termination of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.