SUNY Buffalo State Academic Advisor in Buffalo, New York
Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
About Buffalo State
Buffalo State is the largest comprehensive college in the State University of New York system. As a civic, urban, and engaged campus community, we pride ourselves as having small college learning environments coupled with large university opportunities. We are a diverse and inclusive college committed to the intellectual, personal, and professional growth of its students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Our mission is to transform lives, to empower students to succeed and to inspire a lifelong passion for learning. Buffalo State is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research, service, scholarship, creative activity, and cultural enrichment. With degree programs in education, the arts, science, and professional studies, each year nearly 10,000 students choose Buffalo State for its broad array of high-quality academic programs, diverse and creative environment, hands-on learning opportunities, affordable SUNY tuition, NCAA Division III athletics, and prime location in Buffalo’s cultural corridor. We welcome applicants who are committed to helping us fulfill our mission.
Department Academic Success
Local Title Say Yes Success Counselor
Budget Title Academic Advisor
Line Number 51011
Salary Range $55,000
Negotiating Unit UUP
Brief Job Description
The Say Yes Success Counselor will manage a caseload of Say Yes students and assists in their admission, transition, retention, and completion of college through counseling and advisement, workshops, classes, referrals, and other forms of interventions. The Say Yes Success Counselor has full professional responsibility for assisting students to resolve any problem(s) that affects their ability to be successful in their educational and career pursuits and make appropriate referrals to campus services and other resources. This position will also support the implementation of programs and services for the annual Buffalo State Say Yes Summer Program.
Responsibilities: • Provide comprehensive individual and group support which include academic, personal, financial, or career-related planning • Establish a positive rapport with all students and maintain active, consistent communication with each student to provide ongoing academic and personal assistance to support persistence and completion. • Assist students to identify, evaluate, and work through personal, academic, social, financial or other challenges • Make student referrals to internal or external support programs and wrap around services to ensure student persistence and academic performance; communicate with others, as allowed by FERPA, to support student success • Use professional judgment to develop solutions to individual student problems and to encourage student development and engagement using innovative approaches and advising best practices • Monitor, through personal student contact and campus technologies, students’ academic progress and intervene as needed; maintain notes on progress and interventions • In collaboration with the Buffalo State Say Yes program Coordinator, actively participate in the Buffalo State Say Yes Summer Success Academy 5-week program • In collaboration with the Coordinator attend training sessions, student activities, and recruitment events as needed. • Participate in campus wide events and programs, which seek to recruit, retain, or encourage the success of low-income and environmentally disadvantaged students • Collaboratively participate in the planning and execution of Say Yes Program services and activities (i.e., open houses, parent meetings, workshops, Summer Success Academy, Orientation, etc.); this work entails periodic evening and weekend hours • Attend staff meetings professional development activities • Support the overall implementation of the Say Yes program as directed and adhere to the Bill and Melinda Gates grant guidelines
• Master’s degree in Higher Education, Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field • Effective interpersonal skills, including communication and collaboration abilities • Experience working with people of diverse cultures • Ability to analyze complex situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action • Ability to carry out a variety of professionally complex assignments without detailed instructions • Proficiency in utilizing computer and word processing software (i.e. Office suite) • Demonstrated affinity with the mission of Buffalo State College
• Knowledge of student development theory and best practices in student success and retention • Knowledge of individual and group counseling techniques • Experience in academic advising in the higher education environment • Experience with case management in college populations where students experienced mental health or life crisis • Familiarity with technologies used by Buffalo State (e.g., Banner, Degree Works, Starfish)
Anticipated Date of Hire 12/01/2020
Priority Review Date
Application Deadline Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://jobs.buffalostate.edu/postings/5097
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Buffalo State is an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution that subscribes to all federal, state, and SUNY legal requirements and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees on the basis of race, sex, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or marital or veteran status (Nondiscrimination Notice). Any violation of this policy should be reported to the Equity and Diversity Office, Cleveland Hall 415, (716) 878-6210. Buffalo State is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. If you have any questions, please contact Lydia Kawaler at email@example.com or call (716) 878-4822.
Background Investigation Statement
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background investigation. Our Pre-Employment Background Screening Policy is available at http://hr.buffalostate.edu/pre-employment-background-screening.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security Report (ASR) for SUNY Buffalo State at http://police.buffalostate.edu. The ASR contains information on campus security policies and certain campus crime statistics. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the ASR by contacting the SUNY Buffalo State University Police Department at (716) 878-6333.
New York State Executive Order 161
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further restrictions on using salary information in the hiring process appear in Labor Law §194-a.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
Buffalo State website
Chronicle of Higher Education
Panorama Hispano News
* All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background investigation. The college's Pre-Employment Background Screening Policy is available at http://hr.buffalostate.edu/pre-employment-background-screening. Prior to an offer of employment, an applicant will be required to sign an authorization release form, allowing Buffalo State to conduct a background investigation. Failure of an applicant to sign the authorization release form will disqualify an applicant from further consideration for appointment.
I agree to comply with the college's policy.
I do not agree to comply with the college's policy. (Note, this selection will disqualify you from further consideration for appointment.)
* What is your highest level of education attained?
High School Diploma or GED
J.D. (Juris Doctor)
None of the above
* Do you have experience in higher education recruiting and marketing?
Documents Needed to Apply
Resume / Curriculum Vitae
Names and Contact Information for 3 Professional References