Community Action Organization Director of Housing Development in Buffalo, New York
Make a Change, Make a Difference
Community Action Organization of Western New York has been serving over 56,000 individuals and families since 1965. With a commitment to educational advancement, workforce development, neighborhood revitalization, community health and economic advancement, we need talented people who want to make a difference in their community to join our team of professionals. Sound like you? Make the difference in the lives of others. Enrich your own life in the process.
Summary of Job Responsibilities:
The Director of Housing Development oversees all activities of the New Venture Housing Department. This includes directing the activities related to providing community residents with access to housing programs that can benefit homeowners and/or tenants. He/she also coordinates the efforts of agency staff that perform services on agency-owned apartments, and commercial properties through its KBN initiative. Provides relocation and rental assistance as well as information concerning regulations, facilities, and services by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Responsible for searching and applying for new grants to increase the reach of the CAO Housing
Development Program, working in consultation with the agency CEO.
· Works with the agency’s housing assistant and collaborating partners to provide case management for
residents seeking housing assistance, and will support the work of the agency’s St. Martin Village housing
management firm, which provides the day-to-day management of the agency’s primary housing
· Manages and coordinates the work efforts of Assistant, residence and seasonal supervisors work crews to
provide services to commercial properties under contract with Agency.
· Interviews clients in order to determine eligibility for housing assistance program;
· Counsels clients regarding services and resources available (such as Section 8, food stamps, Medicaid,
ECDSS cash assistance, educational and training programs, FEMA) and advocates for the customer to
obtain needed services and help them maintain family stability.
· Prepares weekly and monthly reports for President/CEO, supervisor and funding sources;
· Attends meetings, conferences, and workshops, and provides training and technical assistance to staff;
· Provides informational presentations for community residents and partners;
· Advances the mission and maintain goals of the agency housing initiatives.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) in Human Services or Social Work preferred; and five years housing-related experience; FDC credential preferred. (Four years of relevant administrative experience may be substituted for up to two years of education). Must have experience securing and administering funding for important housing and community development projects. Knowledge of HOME, RESTORE, NYS AHC, CDBG and NYSERDA and a track record in securing funding/financing from NYS DHR, as well as administering and implementing these programs is essential.
Salary: Salary Commensurate with experience.