St. Lawrence University Confidential II, Payroll in Canton, New York
Position Title Confidential II, Payroll
Under the general supervision of the Senior Controller, administer the University’s payroll process to ensure the accurate and timely payment, recording, and reporting of wages, taxes, deductions, and benefits.
• Guide and assist employees in completing state and federal tax forms and University forms such as check distribution, direct deposit. Enter tax data to Colleague Payroll System. Maintain employee files containing all such documents.
• Run programs each week to ensure hours have been entered and approved for employees. Send reminders to those who have not done so to ensure that employees are paid for hours worked. Assist employees and supervisors as needed.
• Enter hours to system for adjustments such as back pay and corrections. Run payroll “calc” program and review output for accuracy and ensure changes, unusual items, stipends, etc. are supported and correct. Verify the net pay and perform random manual calculations on sampling of employee salary payments to provide assurance of accuracy.
• Order final payroll “calc” which creates payroll checks and direct deposit/positive pay files as well as final payroll reports. Print and distribute checks. Send direct deposit and positive pay files to the bank. Issue other payments for withholding and taxes. • When required, enter taxable benefits to employee payroll record to ensure appropriate withholdings are applied. Explain federal and state requirement to tax such benefits to employees and answer questions.
• Reconcile general ledger accounts for payroll and various withholdings to ensure accuracy of transactions and reporting.
• Issue, record and report federal and state tax payments as required by law. Enter vouchers to Accounts Payable to issue payments for other withholdings such as garnishments and union dues.
• Calculate tax payment due on financial assistance awarded to international students. Pay appropriate taxes and forward information required to Student Financial Services and Financial Aid. Prepare and distribute year end 1042-S statements to report to students and IRS. • Maintain the year to date payroll spreadsheet linked to all yearly and quarterly reporting to the state and federal agencies, as well as track tax liabilities and remittances. • Research, analyze and report payroll information. Respond to employee inquiries and assist employees in understanding payroll procedures and calculations.
• Respond to and administer requests for special salary payments, corrections, stop payments, reissued checks. • Run system programs to close quarters and fiscal years. Prepare and file federal and state quarterly and annual information returns such as the 941.
• Determine required deadlines for payroll processing throughout the year and communicate to departments and employees. Maintain payroll calendar in Colleague system.
• Work with IT and HR to trouble shoot and test system upgrades and modifications.
Primary schedule is Monday – Friday, 8am – 4:30pm and overtime as required.
• H.S. Diploma required. Associate’s degree or equivalent combination of education and five years related work experience required. • A minimum of two years of payroll experience is required. Must have knowledge of payroll policies and basic understanding of state and federal employment laws. • Tactful and appropriate written and oral communication skills are required, and must be able to maintain discretion when working with highly sensitive and confidential information, and pay meticulous attention to detail. • Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and experience with database systems. The ability to work independently and as part of a team supporting others is essential. Prioritizing conflicting work assignments and meeting deadlines is critical. Must be able to exercise good judgment and decision making within assigned authority. Must be able to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment. Strong customer service and interpersonal skills are essential. Excellent organizational skills are required. Must have the ability to effectively support all levels of staff and maintain strict confidentiality.
Knowledge and use of Colleague system.
Status (FT, PT, Seasonal, Temp) Full-time (12 months)
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number ST00618
Desired Start Date
Open Date (to accept applications)
Close Date (date applications will not be considered)
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested and qualified applicants please complete the online application and include at least three (3) professional references. A cover letter and resume are required and can be uploaded in the “Applicant’s Documents” section of the application.
All offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background (including criminal convictions) check.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Do you have an associate's degree or higher?
* How many years of related work experience do you have?
Cover Letter/Letter of Application