St. Lawrence University Staff Accountant in Canton, New York
Position Title Staff Accountant
Apply accounting principles to complete daily, monthly, and yearly accounting tasks to support the Business Office in producing accurate and complete financial reports. Receives direction and support from the assistant controller.
Process the monthly and year end accounting for auxiliary operations, including Laurentian Properties, the Bookstore, and Dining Services.
Manage the accounting process for grant funds, which includes reviewing, interpreting, analyzing and reporting expenditures and preparing fund drawdowns.
Manage and accurately account for the mortgage loan program and emergency loan program for employees.
Perform regular review of purchases made through accounts payable and the University’s purchasing cards to ensure compliance with appropriate policies and procedures.
On a quarterly basis review fixed asset additions and disposals for completeness and accuracy in relation to accounting standards and University policy.
Assist with the month-end financial close process through preparation of journal entries, reviewing certain accounts, and completing processes in the Colleague accounting system.
Responsible for monthly reconciliation of various balance sheet accounts to the Colleague accounting system.
Review agency accounts on a quarterly basis. Perform analysis on overspent accounts and communicate with departmental staff in order to bring the accounts into balance.
Review the monthly sales tax return, prepared by the Principal Clerk, for accuracy and completeness. Be knowledgeable of sales tax reporting rules to ensure compliance with reporting requirements.
Prepare annual IRS 1098 statements of mortgage interest to ensure compliance with reporting obligations.
Is a resource and supports the accounting needs of student organizations and class years.
Assist in the fiscal year-end close process, including the review and recording of inventory.
Perform other such accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be required from time to time by the Controller or Assistant Controller.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Working knowledge of general accepted accounting principles
• Able to accept responsibility for quality of own work, acknowledge and correct mistakes. Show up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
• Must be capable of working collegially with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students.
• Demonstrated ability to use financial systems and information, MS Office Word and Excel.
• CPA certification or pursuing professional licensure, or Master’s degree in accounting, finance or related field.
• Work experience in higher education or similar business setting.
• Work experience in accounts payable and grant administration.
Two years of experience in accounting procedures.
Status (FT, PT, Seasonal, Temp) Full-time (12 months)
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number ST00631
Desired Start Date
Open Date (to accept applications)
Close Date (date applications will not be considered)
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested and qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest in the position, a resume and a list of 3 professional references. These documents can be uploaded in the “Applicant Documents” section of your application.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Questions about the position may be directed to Mary Cosmo at email@example.com.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Do you have a bachelor's degree or higher?
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
A List of 3 Professional References