St. Lawrence University Technical Support and Hardware Specialist in Canton, New York
Position Title Technical Support and Hardware Specialist
The Technical Support and Hardware Specialist provides a wide array of technical support to the campus community both via phone and in-person. They must exhibit an exceptional commitment to customer services and must be adaptable, self-directed, posses strong communication skills and serve as a fully functioning member of the IT team. The position is at times stressful and the technology is constantly changing, thus a broad range of technical skills and a solid grasp of current technology is required.
• Support the IT service request system, to include evaluating, assigning, completing, advising and client follow-up for incidents and service requests
• Provide a wide array of software support to include Microsoft and Mac OS, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, and various other software to support academic instruction and operations
• Support, maintain, and/or replace Apple, HP and other technology hardware across campus. Technician takes the lead for annual computer refresh deployment and inventory management
• Ability to quickly respond to and solve classroom technology emergencies including, computer, projection, sound and relating equipment to fully support the teaching and learning environment
• Assess, repair and maintain networked printers and Multi-Function Copiers across campus
• Assist with preparation and execution of special events
• Mentor/Lead team of student technicians providing tier 2 support across campus
• Respond to unplanned circumstances that may interrupt services
• Work as part of a team on various departmental working/project groups
• Assist in planning capital and operating budgets
• Evening and weekend hours, as required
• Other duties as assigned
• Associates degree, or an equivalent combination of education and technology support experience.
• Experience providing technical support in various technology environments including Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, printers and more
• Attention to detail with the ability to make quick and accurate decisions.
• Ability to operate a University vehicle.
• Ability to lift and carry necessary equipment and utilize ladders to perform necessary tasks.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks while providing consistent and reliable customer service
• Ability to diagnose and replace hardware components in campus technology
• Excellent communication skills to clearly and effectively assist peers, faculty, staff and students
• Ability to work with people of differing backgrounds, skills and technological understanding
• Demonstrated ability to work inclusively with a diverse team and serve a diverse clientele
• Strong love of technology to eagerly maintain and update personal technology knowledge to remain current in an ever-changing technology landscape
• Familiarity with Microsoft SCCM , JAMF , and ITSM tools (preferably TeamDynamix)
• Experience with audio, video and other multimedia technologies
• Experience providing technical support in higher education environment
• A+, HDI , SCCM / JAMF , Apple, HP, and/or other hardware or software support certifications
Status (FT, PT, Seasonal, Temp) Full-time (12 months)
Posting Number ST00651
Desired Start Date
Open Date (to accept applications)
Close Date (date applications will not be considered)
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please submit a cover letter of interest in the position, a resume, and a list of three professional references. These documents can be uploaded in the “Applicant Documents” section of your application.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Questions about the position may be directed to Jamie Richardson, Director of Operations and Planning for Information Technology, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
A List of 3 Professional References
Additional Document 1