Surprise Lake Camp Caretaker in Cold Spring, New York
The Senior Caretaker position is a full-time, year-round member of our camp staff that includes a generous benefits package as well as housing (including heat, water and electricity) on the camp-grounds. We are seeking a professional with significant experience as a caretaker or in a related field who is interested in pursuing a long-term employment commitment.
Our long-term, current Head Caretaker plans to retire in the next 1-3 years, the plan for this position is to train with the current Head Caretaker and eventually succeed him.
The facilities at Camp are many and complex. Camp maintains its own fresh water well systems, its own sewage treatment plant and has close to 200 stand-alone buildings.
Below please find a partial outline of the position responsibilities:
1. Reports to Head Caretaker;
2. Oversee maintenance of camp buildings, grounds and facilities, including improvement projects and regular inspections - ensuring that Camp facilities are well-maintained, ensure that facilities meet government, environmental and health standards;
3. Oversee maintenance, inventory and upkeep of all site equipment;
4. Oversee relationships with site service providers / utilities;
5. Responsible for monitoring and upkeep of pumps and wells;
6. Responsible for turning water on and off in the late fall and spring each year;
7. Supervise operation of sewer plant;
8. Coordinate with and oversee outside contractors;
9. Train and supervise additional summer maintenance staff;
10. Participate in an on-call summer schedule and ensure that at least one maintenance staff member is on grounds at all times;
11. Monitor camp security;
12. Maintain relations with the local community;
The successful candidate will have:
• A clean, valid driving license, experience operating larger vehicles and a backhoe a plus;
• Experience as a caretaker, carpentry experience, plumbing experience, experience with electrical systems, and / or related experience;
• The ability to lift objects that weigh up to 75 pounds a plus;
• Comfort working at heights up to 25 feet a plus;
• Excellent organizational skills;
• Experience supervising a staff.
Serious candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Bradley Solmsen, Surprise Lake Camp’s Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions you can also call 845-265-3616.