NYS Division of Military and Naval Affairs TEMPORARY SEASONAL - Maintenance Assistant - Hourly in Cortlandt Manor, New York
Anticipated duration of employment: May 23 - Oct 23, 2019
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under direction of the supervisor, Maintenance Assistants perform semi-skilled activities and tasks typical of a variety of trade specialties such as in the areas of carpentry, mechanical, electrical, motor equipment or painting. Such tasks involve the use of hand and/or portable power tools, shop equipment, measuring and testing instruments and other equipment to perform semi-skilled maintenance, repairs, renovations and alterations. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel. Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with agency and labor contract duties and responsibilities, and National Guard Bureau (NGB) standards, and where applicable NGB requirements in the Master Cooperative Agreement between NGB and DMNA - current and as amended.
Maintenance Assistants may perform the activities of this class with considerable independence and are expected to accomplish assignments thoroughly and with professionalism. Assignments may include but are not limited to the following:
• Performs routine repetitive semi-skilled maintenance and repair of plumbing, electrical, carpentry, masonry and other facility services and equipment.
• Performs general grounds maintenance tasks such as: clearing sites, mowing lawns, maintaining roads and sidewalks, snow and ice removal, collection/pick-up of trash and other obstructions from in and around the building and surrounding areas.
• Performs general facilities maintenance such as: cleaning common areas, offices and restrooms, facility trash pick-up, painting and moving furniture.
• Maintains automotive equipment and other machinery.
• May perform journeymen level activities under supervision or after receiving detailed instructions.
• As directed, may supervise appropriate subordinates in order to accomplish required tasks and duties.
• When applicable, the individual will assist with maintenance requirements for the Nonmilitary Use Program.
• May perform duties at other DMNA facilities.
• Periodic travel will be required.
• Overtime will be required.
• Use of computers may be required, depending on work location.
• Complete and attend additional training as required.
• Other job related duties as assigned.
• Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel.
• Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
• Ability to use the tools, machines, equipment and materials of the trade or trades to which assigned.
• Ability to work in confined spaces in accordance with requirements.
• Ability to follow directions, ensure follow through and completion of assignments and seek assistance or report concerns when needed.
• Ability to work independently or with other individuals in a project/team setting in accordance with supervisory guidance and direction.
• Ability to get along with and interact well with different groups of people, including co-workers, management, both Federal and State personnel and the public utilizing the facility.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.