Nanticoke Gardens Assistant Grower in Endicott, New York
Assistant Grower - Industrial Hemp and Bedding Plants
Nanticoke Gardens - Endicott, NY 13760
We are seeking a full-time Assistant Grower. The position requires a M-F 8am - 4:30pm schedule as well as on call every 4th weekend during the off season. Increased hours are required from Feb through June.
Responsibilities during the growing/production season include but are not limited to:
- Working closely with growers to ensure plant quality standards are met
- Working directly in propagation of unrooted cuttings and ensuring high quality cuttings are produced.
- Working closely with production manager and transplanters to ensure planting schedules are met
- Working closely with greenhouse assistants to ensure quality of mixing soil and scheduling of filling pots is met
- Spacing pots and moving plants
- Watering plants
- Working with retail customers to fill requests
- Responsible for setting up displays and signage in retail areas
- other duties as assigned.
Responsibilities during the off season include but are not limited to:
- Maintenance of existing greenhouse
- Assist in construction of new greenhouse. Experience with electric, plumbing and heating a plus
- Assist in implementation of automating greenhouse functions, ie; automatic watering systems, irrigation systems, etc.
- Re-covering greenhouse plastic on greenhouses that need new plastic. This happens on a rolling basis every 4 years for each greenhouse. Must be comfortable working with heights.
- Ordering seeds and tags for upcoming planting season.
- Cleaning pots and trays
- Disinfecting greenhouses prior to planting
- Assisting with the implementation of fundraising programs
Interest in greenhouse/agriculture a plus.
Must be comfortable working with tools.
Must be comfortable working with heights.
Weekend availability is a must during late winter and spring months.
Must be available to work extended hours in the spring.
This is a great opportunity for a motivated, hard-working individual to jump on board with a growing company. A great environment for someone interested in learning more about plants, the greenhouse business and agriculture in general.
Please reply via email with your resume. Emails without resumes will NOT be considered.
Job Type: Full-time
relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
High school or equivalent (Required)
Endicott, NY 13760 (Preferred)
Driver's License (Required)