Queens Community House Youth Development Director in Flushing, New York
Queens Community House is seeking a professional Youth Development Director with a commitment to youth development to join our Youth Development Center at Pomonok Community Center. The Youth Development Program Dir. has overall accountability for the development & growth, quality, & success of the after-school program, summer camp, & youth leadership program operations, its students, & staff. The Director fosters a safe & inclusive atmosphere of fun & learning where the concept of teamwork, creativity, youth empowerment, & sportsmanship can flourish; preparing youth for future successes. This position is supervised by the Pomonok Center Director.
Schedule: Mon-Fri, 11:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.; some late evenings & Saturdays requ'ed.
- Oversee high quality, safe, & inclusive youth development programs that incorporate QCH's mission, vision, & positioning; curriculum supporting youth's developmental, social, & academic needs; meets contractual requirements; is fun & engaging; & supports family engagement & strengthening
- Responsible for supervision, operations, programming, & evaluation of after-school & summer camp programming & staff. Coverage areas include program planning, program development & implementation, curriculum development & implementation, assessment & evaluation, team building. Provide support, guidance, & overall supervision to staff leading to their embracement of QCH's mission & youth development principles & practices contributing toward a safe, motivational, & respectful environment. Develop relationship w/local schools so that program elements include local students & support elementary school aged children's academic progress.
- Serve as a lead in developing a Parent Advisory Board, & other venues supporting parent engagement & family strengthening.
- Partner w/Family Engagement Social Worker to plan & implement family literacy programming.
- Provide oversight & guidance to Leaders in Training program, a youth leadership program engaging area pre-teens aged 11-15 years in programming fostering self-awareness, self-esteem, civic engagement, & skill development in areas related to com. improvement, sustainability, & food justice. Establish & develop a Youth Council giving youth voice & opportunities to get involved in their community through service learning projects.
- Contribute toward development of an evening teen program: explore w/community, program interests & preferences, & engage them as community stakeholders. Provide support, guidance & overall supervision to Teen Outreach Specialist.
- Organize special & culminating events, including showcases that highlight student achievement & culturally enriching field trips.
- Monitor purchases & inventory of all program related expenses.
- Develop collegial relationships with, local school, library, other organizations & regulatory agencies (DOH, DOE, & DYCD) & other key stakeholders; serve as an advocate.
- Represent QCH in community through outreach, school visits & attending meetings & events.
- Bachelor's degree requ'ed w/pref. for Educ., Psych., Sociology or related field.
- Min. of 2 yrs.' of supervisory & management exp. developing & implementing youth programs, staff training & eval.; ability to work with a diverse staff of varying professional & educational experiences.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to young people & staff as a positive adult role model.
- Demonstrated ability in program outreach & recruitment, budgeting, performance-based contracting & compliance w/SACC licensing procedures
See full job details at:
Forward cover letter & esume, with subject line "Youth Development Center Director - Pomonok," to firstname.lastname@example.org Note: Applications submitted without a formal cover letter will not be considered.