Colgate University Lifeguard in Hamilton, New York
Full Time/Part Time
Colgate University is a special place to work and offers many unique opportunities, including the ability to work with and among world class faculty and staff at a highly selective residential liberal arts institution. This position provides an opportunity to become familiar with the variety of regular positions that are available at the University, as well as the ability to add employment at a distinct University to your resume.
Successful candidates for this position will earn sick leave, paid time off, free parking, and a University 'Gate Card that provides access to fitness facilities, athletic and cultural events, as well as a discount on many items at the University Bookstore.
This type of appointment is not approved to work more than 999 hours per year for all positions combined. Should incumbents work more than a total of 999 hours in a year the appointment may not continue beyond one year of service.
-To supervise the activities of swimmers by enforcing rules and regulations.
-To warn swimmers of improper activities or hazards.
-To rescue persons in distress or in danger of drowning when indicated and provide rescue breathing, CPR and First Aid.
-To notify the NYS DOH of any accidents, rescues, or problems that have arisen.
-To check all safety equipment is working properly on a daily basis, and report to the Aquatic Manager any equipment that is in need of repair.
-To successfully and positively perform within work team dynamics.
- To be on time and capable of performing tasks within team dynamics.
- To supervise all patrons in and around the pool area.
-To answer inquiries pertaining to the use of the pool.
- To move lane lines as directed.
- To direct all helpful suggestions from participants and others to direct supervisor.
- To attend scheduled in-service training.
- To maintain attendance and activity record and complete required reports.
- To provide periodic supervision and custodial needs of locker rooms.
-To assist in cleaning and maintaining the pool and related areas and facilities.
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- Requires knowledge of water hazards, lifesaving techniques and first aid, recognize hazardous situations, and adopt effective courses of action.
- Requires effective communication skills and the ability to engage positively with the public.
- Requires attentiveness to visual and audible cues for recognition and identification of swimmers in distress or in process of unsafe behaviors.
- Requires proficient swimming ability and the proper application of rescue and first-aid techniques.
- Requires current CPR/AED, First Aid & Lifeguard certifications.
- Must be capable of working collegially with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students within a university context.
- Requires ability to frequently sit, kneel, stand, stoop, communicate, reach and manipulate objects. The position requires mobility.
Posting Detail Information
Shifts vary. Special event and additional swim practice shifts will also be available.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at . You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: .
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (\*).
Are you at least 18 years of age?
Are you currently a Colgate employee?
Have you ever been a Colgate employee?
Are you a Colgate student who is on campus for the summer?
Are you a child of a Colgate employee?
Please let us know how you heard about this position.
Albany Times Union
Binghamton Press & Sun
Chronicle of Higher Education
Chronicle of Philanthropy
Diverse Issues of Higher Education
HERC (Upstate New York HERC)
Norwich Evening Sun
Oneida Daily Dispatch
Syracuse Post Standard
Utica Observer Dispatch
If you selected "Colgate Employee" or "Other" for how you heard about this position, please provide the employee's name or where you heard about/saw the position.
(Open Ended Question)
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.