Cornell University Custodian SO-02 in Ithaca, New York
Facilities Management (FM) provides maintenance, grounds, and custodial services to the entire campus. FM serves as a partner within the zone structure for the Contract Colleges (CC), Endowed (EN), and Student and Campus Life (SCL) zones.As a key steward of the University's facilities, FM is responsible for facility assessments, skilled trades, general construction, building care, grounds, recycling, asbestos, and the management of planned, corrective, and preventive maintenance.
- As a Custodian, you will perform physically intensive and detailed custodial maintenance of Cornell's academic, residential, administrative, research, athletic, dining, and support facilities in an assigned area.
- The Custodian cleans and maintains restrooms, public corridors, lobbies, offices, classrooms, laboratories, lounges, kitchens, apartments, laundry rooms, and athletic locker-room facilities.
- They vacuum, shampoo and extract carpeting; scrub, wax, and burnish floors; polish furniture and woodwork; thoroughly clean and disinfect the restroom facilities.
- Custodians are required to operate and maintain heavy-duty power custodial equipment. Your job would require working in a dusty environment, utilizing a variety of cleaning chemicals, working around unpleasant odors, and performing emergency flood-water clean-ups.
- The Custodian is responsible to maintain key security at all times as well as perform work in close contact with the Cornell public involving 31,000 students, faculty, and staff, while respecting the privacy of all customers served. It would be your responsibility to maintain grounds in the immediate vicinity of the assigned area, by sweeping sidewalks and shoveling snow.
- This position is 39 hours per week, 1st shift, days and/or weekends available.
This position is subject to call-in twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week to handle emergencies, especially snow emergencies. It is subject to shift changes and extended working hours (including nights, early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays) in order to meet seasonal work demand. This position is subject to working in weather related extremes of heat and cold for extended periods and you must be free of debilitating dust allergies, or have the ability to manage such an allergy.
This is a union position within the United Auto Worker's bargaining unit (UAW). The rate of pay is $20.03/hr.
What we need:
For this role, we need:
- Highly motivated and hard working individuals
- Basic proficiency in English involving reading, writing, math and verbal articulation is also required.
- You must be able to follow written and verbal directions involving all custodial procedures.
- You must have a desire and ability to perform detailed, varied cleaning duties such as:
- Working in a dusty environment, with unpleasant odors, and with substances including bodily fluids and waste.
- Able to work with a variety of industrial-rated cleaning chemicals, and be comfortable assisting with emergencies including water clean-ups.
- Maintaining key security, while respecting the privacy of faculty, staff and student work areas.
- Must have the stamina to perform physically laborious work, lift and/or move fifty (50) pounds, and independently climb an eight (8) foot ladder.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions and extreme temperatures.
You also must have:
- The ability to learn all technical elements of the custodial maintenance process, and be able to physically and safely operate industrial-rated power equipment used in custodial maintenance field.
- The ability to conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times with excellent interpersonal, communication, customer service skills, and ability to work effectively within a strong team environment.
- The ability to function effectively in a fast-paced service environment and adapt easily to frequent changes.
- A positive attitude and the ability to promote teamwork in a diverse working environment at all times.
- A strong work ethic and demonstrated excellent attendance.
- A form of reliable transportation.
Additionally, we would prefer:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in the custodial maintenance field
- A valid driver's license.
If you also have these items, GREAT! But if you don't, don't let that stop you from applying!
Required material for applying to be considered:
- Resume with preferred contact information included
Ours is a values-based organization where all employees are accountable for supporting the organization's values of truth, respect, excellence, teamwork, and integrity. Employees are required to attend staff development trainings and participate in the performance evaluation process.
*No VISA sponsorship or relocation assistance is available for this position.
Familiarize yourself with Cornell's as well as the university's .
University Job Title:Custodian S02
Job Family:United Auto Workers
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Pay Range:Refer to Union Pay Rates Link Below
Remote Option Availability:
Contact Name:Grace Dembia
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
Unique applicable skills
Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
To learn more about Cornell's non-union staff job titles and pay ranges, see .
The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined in accordance with the rates in the respective collective bargaining agreement. To learn more about Cornell's union wages, see .
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your Home dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
Online Submission Guidelines:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by "dragging and dropping" them into the dropbox or by using the "upload" icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit on the HR website.
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting or email .
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Office of Institutional Equity and Title IX at voice (607) 255-2242, or email at.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also request an appointment to use a dedicated workstation in the Office of Talent Attraction and Recruitment, at the Ithaca campus, by emailing .
Notice to Applicants:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by . This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, and we do not tolerate discrimination based on any protected characteristic, including race, ethnic or national origin, citizenship and immigration status, color, sex/gender, pregnancy or pregnancy-related conditions, age, creed, religion, actual or perceived disability (including persons associated with such a person), arrest and/or conviction record, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender expression and/or identity, an individual's genetic information, domestic violence victim status, familial status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations in accordance with applicable law.
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty, and staff to all identities and backgrounds. We encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.2021-06-23
EEO Statement: Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.
Minimum Salary: 31200.00 Maximum Salary: 31200.00 Salary Unit: Yearly