Cornell University Landscape Equipment Operator SO-06 in Ithaca, New York
WE ARE SEARCHING FOR A SKILLED, HARDWORKING INDIVIDUAL TO JOIN OUR GROUNDS DEPARTMENT AS A LANDSCAPE EQUIPMENT OPERATOR!
In this role, you'll perform skilled landscape maintenance and/or landscape construction tasks including but not limited to:
* Landscape design
* Tree/shrub transplanting
* Pruning and removals
* Flower bed design/selection
* Agri-chemical applications
This role also performs manual labor for general landscape maintenance and/or landscape construction tasks including but not limited to:
* Turf maintenance
* Plant/bed maintenance
* Litter control
* Snow removal
* Other duties as assigned
Plan to operate a wide variety of landscape maintenance and snow removal equipment while promptly reporting unsafe conditions or damage to campus landscape, equipment, or facilities.
Overall, this position provides technical support for all Grounds Department activities.
As an SO-06 Landscape Equipment Operator, you will be subject to call-in twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week to handle emergencies, especially snow related emergencies. You'll also be subject to shift changes and extended working hours (including nights, early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays) to meet seasonal work demands and working in weather related extremes of heat and cold for extended periods. It is possible that you may come into contact with sewage and dead animals in this line of work.
THIS POSITION IS COVERED BY THE UAW COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT. THE HOURLY RATE OF PAY IS $19.42.
At the end of the probationary period employees will be required to pay union dues per article 1 of the agreement.
WHAT WE NEED:
* High School Diploma or equivalent
* Minimum of three years of experience, to include one (1) year leadership experience in grounds maintenance or related field w/emphasis on ornamental plant care
* Must have and maintain a valid driver s license; may be required to operate a motor vehicle (your own vehicle or Cornell-owned) to travel to/from job sites
* Will be required to obtain NYS pesticide applicator s license category 3a within 3 years of hire date
* Excellent interpersonal (oral and written) skills in order to interact with a diverse range of people.
* Proven ability to work effectively as a member of a team
* A strong customer service background while providing a helpful and friendly approach to serving the campus community.
* Motivation to learn and ability to take initiative in order to be proactive.
* Ability to work independently without immediate supervision.
* Demonstrated experience utilizing independent judgment and problem solving to ensure a safe and efficient work environment.
WHAT WE'D LIKE:
* Current pesticide applicator s license
* Experience in landscape maintenance and snow removal in a commercial or high volume residential landscape setting
* Associates Degree and/or additional education/training in applied plant sciences (e.g. arboriculture, ornamental horticulture, phytopathology, agronomy)
IF YOU HAVE ANY OR ALL OF OUR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, GREAT! IF YOU DON'T THOUGH, DON'T LET THAT DISCOURAGE YOU FROM APPLYING!
**There is no VISA sponsorship available for this position.**
UNIVERSITY JOB TITLE:Equip Oper S06
PAY RATE TYPE:Hourly
CONTACT NAME:Emily Sorber
NUMBER OF OPENINGS:0
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to Workday using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your HOME dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
ONLINE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by dragging and dropping them into the dropbox or by using the upload icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit How We Hire on the HR website.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Office of Workforce Policy and Labor Relations at voice (607) 255-6866, fax (607) 255-0298, or email at .
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by CLICKING HERE. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.
Employer's Job# WDR-00020426
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.