Cornell University Lead Food Service Worker S04 - Cafe Jennie - Cornell Dining in Ithaca, New York
This job posting is intended solely for ACTIVE UAW MEMBERS WHO ARE INTERNAL TO CORNELL DINING AND SEEKING A LATERAL LOCATION/SCHEDULE CHANGE.
APPLICANTS MUST BE CURRENTLY WORKING FOR CORNELL DINING, AND BE IN THE SAME BAND AND JOB TITLE
Applicants from outside of Cornell Dining or those seeking promotional opportunities or change in job title within Cornell Dining should apply to our Multiple Positions postings to express their interest.
LATERAL TRANSFER INFORMATION:
UNIVERSITY TITLE: LEAD FOOD SERVICE WORKER
UAW JOB GRADE: SO-04
UNIT: CAFE JENNIE
ANTICIPATED WORK SCHEDULE:
Saturday 9:00am - 6:00pm
*Schedules are subject to change based on business needs
Under general supervision, the SO-04 LEAD helps with the preparation, delivery and presentation of food items as well as coordinates work assignments, monitors food productions and assists with operating the register in a variety of Dining unit(s). Additionally, this position has the unique responsibility of serving as a role model for the team and therefor must be team-oriented, customer-service driven and have a desire to succeed.
Likely daily tasks include:
* Assisting with the coordination of work assignments, including their own, for the preparation, presentation and/or service of various food items to ensure timeliness at a variety of stations (beverage, salad bar/counter, deli, pizza, takeout, bakery, short order, specialty bars and/or dessert areas). This includes preparing specific food items and maintaining the specific equipment and supplies that belong to these unique stations.
* Tabulate daily cash and credit card transactions for accuracy and to prepare for deposit. As needed, process sales transactions using appropriate procedures for cash, checks, credit cards and meal plan cards by following established security procedures for all cash transactions.
* Providing visual security to prevent theft and report all theft to the manager on duty immediately.
* Maintaining portion control and assisting management in determining the amounts of product on hand and amounts that need to be ordered as well as provide efficient and creative use of all foods including leftovers.
* Ensuring sanitary, HACCP, and NY State Health codes and procedures are maintained in assigned areas including, but not limited to, temperatures, safe handling procedures, proper sanitary restraints and uniforms.
* Maintaining and ensuring the proper storage of food items in the designated storage areas.
A successful candidate must have good customer service, interpersonal and communication skills and be able to work with a varied clientele and coworkers. Will also be able to provide functional supervision and/or training of other culinary staff and student employees as assigned. Must have the ability to be creative and flexible at all times as schedules, shifts, locations, and daily tasks are subject to change. Position may require evening, weekend, and holiday hours. May perform other related duties as assigned. Position may be subject to seasonal lay-offs including summer, fall, winter, and spring breaks.
High School Diploma or equivalent and 1 to 2 years related experience. Basic skills in English including reading, writing, math and verbal articulation. Higher education and/or additional experience in food service or production kitchen preferred. Knowledge of proper sanitation and HACCP procedures helpful. ServSafe Certified preferred.
Must be able to lift 30 lbs. occasionally and up to 50 lbs. (minimal). Must be able to reach over your head. Must be able to stand for long periods of time, and conduct repetitive motion, such as chopping, stirring, and mixing. Occasional squatting and frequent bending. Continuous exposure to temperature changes (must be able to tolerate the extreme ranges), heat, steam, smoke, slippery floors, food waste and kitchen equipment such as slicers, fryers, steamers, ovens. Prolonged attentiveness in the use of equipment and the tasks at hand. Long periods of standing.
ABILITY TO DEMONSTRATE IN-DEPTH KNOWLEDGE OF FOOD PREPARATION AND PRESENTATION INCLUDING PROFICIENT KNIFE SKILLS THROUGH A COOKING DEMONSTRATION AS PART OF THE INTERVIEW PROCESS.
UNIVERSITY JOB TITLE:Food Service Worker S04
PAY RATE TYPE:Hourly
CONTACT NAME:Dana Burton
NUMBER OF OPENINGS:0
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to Workday using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your HOME dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
ONLINE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by dragging and dropping them into the dropbox or by using the upload icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit How We Hire on the HR website.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Department of Inclusion and Workforce Diversity at voice (607) 255-3976, fax (607) 255-7481, or email at .
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by CLICKING HERE. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.
Employer's Job# WDR-00021082
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.