Cornell University Maintenance Mechanic SO10 in Ithaca, New York
The Facilities Maintenance Department of Cornell University is looking for a hardworking and reliable person to join their team as a SO10 Maintenance Mechanic!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
As a SO10 Maintenance Mechanic, you will perform preventive maintenance on all building mechanical equipment. Monitor all building systems to ensure proper functioning of all equipment, to include, but not limited to, air handling equipment, air compressors, pumping systems, building and laboratory exhaust fans. Perform necessary equipment service, repairs and/or direct any additional repairs to the appropriate trade shop. Assist other maintenance mechanics with repairs when required. Maintain an accurate and appropriate inventory of spare parts for servicing equipment in a timely manner. Document and record all maintenance activities and related billable hours for equipment maintenance records as required.
THIS IS A UNION POSITION WITHIN THE UNITED AUTO WORKER'S BARGAINING UNIT (UAW). THE HIRE RATE OF PAY IS $23.28
WHAT WE NEED:
For this role, we need a highly motivated and hard working individual with High School Diploma or equivalent. Must have a minimum of three years of experience in building trades or other relevant mechanical experience, along with a familiarity with building systems and equipment.
The individual filling this role must also:
* Have and maintain a valid driver s license; may be required to operate a motor vehicle (your own vehicle or Cornell-owned) to travel to/from job sites, and for transportation or tools, etc.
* Must be able to read and interpret blue prints, schematics and drawings,
* Good troubleshooting skills required.
* Must have good communication skills, both verbal and written.
* Demonstrated ability to use or learn to use computers.
* Must be able to lift or move 100lbs.
* Ability to use or learn to use common test equipment such as multi-meters, tension meters, alignment tools, etc.
* Ability to work in confined spaces, from elevated positions and from a ladder for extended period of time. Demonstrated ability to work independently. Excellent customer service skills required.
* Subject to shift changes and extended working hours (including nights, early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays) to meet seasonal work demand. Subject to working in weather related extremes of heat and cold for extended periods, as well as exposure to extreme dust, dirt and insects, including bees.
**No VISA sponsorship or relocation assistance is available for this position.**
UNIVERSITY JOB TITLE:Mech Maint S10
PAY RATE TYPE:Hourly
CONTACT NAME:Candi Quill
NUMBER OF OPENINGS:1
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to Workday using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your HOME dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
ONLINE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by dragging and dropping them into the dropbox or by using the upload icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit How We Hire on the HR website.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Department of Inclusion and Workforce Diversity at voice (607) 255-3976, fax (607) 255-7481, or email at .
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by CLICKING HERE. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.
Employer's Job# WDR-00021128
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.