Cornell University Material Handler SO-05 - Cornell Dining (Multiple Positions - Fall 2019) in Ithaca, New York
Student & Campus Life (SCL) inspires transformation in all Cornell students on their journey of individual, academic and personal evolution. Our division is comprised of leading student affairs experts who support our campus on pressing student life matters including public service, health, wellness, social justice, residential living, food services, sports, recreation, career services, and student activities and organizations including sorority and fraternity life. Our nearly 4,000 staff and student employees who make up SCL embrace the opportunity to represent the division and strive for excellence as we shape the Cornell student experience, one interaction at a time
As part of SCL, Cornell Dining is comprised of more than 30 on-campus eateries, including multiple All You Care to Eat dining rooms, caf s, coffee houses, food courts, and retail convenience stores. From holiday-themed meals to chef surprises and dining room special nights, the Cornell Dining team of more than 400 culinary and skilled staff members work hard every day towards offering a variety of fresh and healthy food options from all over the world. Cornell Dining s overarching mission is a commitment to serving high-quality foods that are healthy and creatively prepared with genuine care for a diverse community.
Under regular supervision, the MATERIAL HANDLER, plays an integral role by assisting with inventory management in assigned unit(s) that ultimately has a direct impact to that unit(s) ability to manage food costs properly. Although, this position often requires independent action, it is also critical that this position works cooperatively with the other members of their team as well as the larger community and is customer-service driven.
Likely daily tasks include:
* Plan, coordinate, deliver, receive, inspect, and store all food products, equipment and supplies for a dining unit, in a safe and timely manner including any transfer of food and/or supplies to other unites as needed.
* Ensure that sanitary and HACCP procedures are maintained in assigned areas. Maintain all NY State Health codes and other dining standards including but not limited to temperatures, safe food handling procedures and proper sanitary restraints and uniforms.
* Process routine ordering of food and supplies, verify all incoming goods against order sheets and invoices, report all discrepancies and turn in signed invoices to management in a timely manner
* Assist with maintaining proper inventory levels and product rotation including checking inventory levels, reviewing reports, participating in large scale inventory exercises, and advising management on stock levels and ordering needs.
* Maintain clean and orderly stock locations and inform management of any need for repairs and maintenance of any equipment.
* Occasionally assist in other areas including dish washing, cleaning, stocking and assisting on the serving line.
THIS POSTING IS FOR MULTIPLE POSITION ACROSS CORNELL DINING. LOCATION AND SCHEDULE ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE BASED ON BUSINESS NEEDS.
A successful candidate, must have good interpersonal and customer service skills to field customer comments and complaints. Must be able to prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, while adapting quickly to changing priorities both independently and as a valued team-member. Ability to be creative and flexible at all times is imperative as schedules, shifts, locations, and daily tasks are subject to change. Position may require evening, weekend, and holiday hours. May perform other related duties as assigned. Position may be subject to seasonal lay-offs including summer, fall, winter, and spring breaks.
* High school diploma, or equivalent such as BOCES, and 1 year of related experience.
* Must obtain the Managers NEHA training certification .
* Basic proficiency in English involving reading, writing, math (adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying, using fractions) and verbal articulation .
* Must possess, and maintain, a valid New York State driver's license with no major driving violations. Must be able to obtain DOT driving certification.
* Ability to drive a large box truck and van and safely operate delivery truck under inclement weather conditions.
* Must be able to work in extremely temperature conditions and variable outside weather
* Must be able to frequently lift up to 50 lbs; occasionally lifting 100 lbs.
* Knowledge of storeroom and inventory techniques such as and familiarity with online ordering/inventory management system preferred.
NO RELOCATION ASSISTANCE IS PROVIDED FOR THIS POSITION. VISA SPONSORSHIP IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION.
UNIVERSITY JOB TITLE:Material Handler S05
PAY RATE TYPE:Hourly
CONTACT NAME:Dana Burton
NUMBER OF OPENINGS:2
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to Workday using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your HOME dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
ONLINE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by dragging and dropping them into the dropbox or by using the upload icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit How We Hire on the HR website.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Office of Workforce Policy and Labor Relations at voice (607) 255-6866, fax (607) 255-0298, or email at .
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by CLICKING HERE. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.
Employer's Job# WDR-00017242
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.