Cornell University Part Time/Casual Customer Service & Sales Assistant (Various Positions Available in Ithaca, New York
Part Time/Casual Customer Service & Sales Assistant (Various Positions Available) - Cornell Retail ServicesAPPLY
Looking to explore the world of retail and grow your career? Come join our team! Cornell Retail Services is currently hiring part-time/casual staff (19 hours per week or less) for the following areas and locations:
- Sales (Ithaca Campus & Downtown Ithaca Location)
- Print Shop
- Loss Prevention
Positions that are available immediately! Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Cornell Store is a dynamic hub of the Cornell University campus and a recognized leader in collegiate retailing innovation, serving students, faculty, staff, alumni and visitors. The Cornell Store is a high-volume, multi -channel retail operations that delivers legendary customer service, provides a rewarding work experience, and produces excellent financial results.
Cornell Retail Services is in search of individuals who are dependable, motivated, and enjoy working in a team environment.
Hire Rate: starting at $16.25 /hour
Schedule: Variable, based on availability, business needs, and work performance; some nights, weekends and holidays may be required
- Sales and Service- Greeting and welcoming customers and guests, demonstrating "active selling", providing product information and guidance, and ensuring a high-quality customer service experience
- Visual Merchandising- Assisting in maintaining the appearance of the sales floor, setting up seasonal promotions/visual displays, and regularly monitor assigned areas for product restocking and recovery
- Point of Sale Support- Operate cash registers, assist customers with check-out, and execute appropriate cash handling procedures
- Inventory & Order Fulfillment Support- Help receive and process incoming merchandise and assist with special orders and store-to-store shipping requests; possibly handling seasonal perishable goods.
- Customer Care- Support the digital and in-store shopping experience through assisting with responding to customer inquiries
We value your ability to:
- Drive a positive customer experience by building relationships, sharing product knowledge, and providing solutions to our customer's needs
- Greet and welcome customers into the department
- Work successfully as part of a team
- Be dependable in your attendance & punctuality as well as flexible in your schedule based on business needs.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills
- Must have a pleasant personality, excellent customer service skills and enjoy working with the public.
- Moderate computer/systems competency
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to occasionally climb ladders
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds as needed
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Prior retail sales experience is helpful but not required.
No relocation assistance is provided for this position. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Familiarize yourself with Cornell's as well as the university's .
University Job Title:Temporary Retail Assistant
Job Family:Temporary Auxiliary Services
Level:No Grade - Hourly
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Pay Range:Refer to Posting Language
Remote Option Availability:
Contact Name:Shawn Ruebel
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
Unique applicable skills
Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
To learn more about Cornell's non-union staff job titles and pay ranges, see .
The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined in accordance with the rates in the respective collective bargaining agreement. To learn more about Cornell's union wages, see .
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your Home dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
Online Submission Guidelines:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by "dragging and dropping" them into the dropbox or by using the "upload" icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit on the HR website.
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting or email .
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Office of Institutional Equity and Title IX at voice (607) 255-2242, or email at.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also request an appointment to use a dedicated workstation in the Office of Talent Attraction and Recruitment, at the Ithaca campus, by emailing .
Notice to Applicants:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by . This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, and we do not tolerate discrimination based on any protected characteristic, including race, ethnic or national origin, citizenship and immigration status, color, sex/gender, pregnancy or pregnancy-related conditions, age, creed, religion, actual or perceived disability (including persons associated with such a person), arrest and/or conviction record, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender expression and/or identity, an individual's genetic information, domestic violence victim status, familial status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations in accordance with applicable law.
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty, and staff to all identities and backgrounds. We encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.2023-06-22
EEO Statement: Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.
Minimum Salary: 31200.00 Maximum Salary: 31200.00 Salary Unit: Yearly