The New York Foundling Dorm Project Tutor (Queens, Full-Time) in Long Island City, New York
33-00 Northern Blvd
Long Island City, NY, USA
The New York Foundling collaborated with The City University of New York (CUNY) and the Administration of Children’s Services (ACS) to launch The Dorm Project, which provides a college experience that is tailored to the specific needs of youth in foster care and includes academic and social supports. The Dorm Project has built upon The Foundling’s unique capacity for supporting older adolescents educationally. The program targets foster youth within the 17-24 age group from any foster care provider in New York City and provides a wide range of supports – academic, social, financial, and professional – to prepare students for long-term success.
The Dorm Project serves a cohort of students who live in housing affiliated with Queens College (The Summit), The City College of New York (The Towers), and John Jay College (The New Yorker Hotel). Participants are supported by College Success Coaches that live alongside them on campus and are deeply in touch with and trained to respond to the issues that this unique population faces. The program includes academic support that is provided by a team of tutors who ensure that each student is prepared to pass their classes, develop effective study habits, choose a major, and implement a long-term academic plan. The Dormitory Project also includes year-round workshops, a summer inclusion program for all participating students, and career development support.
The Foundling is currently seeking a patient, caring, and engaging individual with an outstanding academic background to join our dedicated team of full-time tutors.
- Conduct one-on-one tutoring sessions twice per week with approximately 13-15 college students. These sessions will primarily be held in the dormitory where students reside.
- Work with college students across all subject areas, including History, Math, Science, and English. Tutors are expected to create a calm and accepting environment and tailor the sessions to each student’s knowledge and needs.
- Submit feedback after each meeting with a student to track goals, successes, and challenges.
- Engage in group discussions to troubleshoot specific student issues and share methods for teaching various types of content.
- Perform outreach to students to create a tutoring schedule and develop strategies to enhance their engagement.
- Spend in-office time developing teaching materials such as worksheets with practice problems; study guides and outlines of course materials; and methods for explaining important concepts.
- Participate in weekly coaching with supervisor to discuss student needs and identify areas for professional development.
Education and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Compassionate and patient, and sensitive to the needs of our target population.
- Proficient in or able to quickly learn a wide range of academic subjects at the college level.
- Able to develop and tailor lessons that fit the particular strengths of each student.
- Capable of working in a group setting, and of giving and receiving critical feedback.
- Detail oriented, responsible, and punctual.
- Previous tutoring or teaching experience preferred.
- Candidates who are bilingual in Spanish are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Applications with Cover Letters will be given preference.
Bachelor's Level Degree or better
Posted: February 8, 2020