Cornell Cooperative Extension 4-H Camp Owahta Camp Director - McGraw, NY in McGraw, New York
This position serves as 4-H Camp Owahta Summer Camp Director responsible to Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Cortland County. The primary responsibilities of this position are to implement weekly programming (including low ropes, educational classes, visual or performing arts, crafts, and other classes as assigned), daily operations and supervision of staff. In addition, this position accepts and performs other responsibilities as assigned and deemed appropriate by the CCE Cortland County Executive Director. (This position does not have cabin responsibilities.)
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS:
PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING
All applicants must complete an application packet online, which includes: cover letter, resume and three (3) references.
All External Applicants (including applicants currently employed by Cornell Cooperative Extension in Associations other than the Association advertising this career opportunity) must submit his/her application materials via the "APPLY" button located within this job posting.
All Internal Applicants (current employees working for the Association advertising this career opportunity) must apply online via his/her Workday account, which may be accessed here: http://workday.cornell.edu/.
Please contact Barb Henza, Association HR Rep at 607-391-2660 with questions.
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree or must be at least 25 years of age with equivalent combination of training and experience in related field.
- Must have current CPR and First Aid certifications (will train suitable candidates).
- Must be able to meet travel requirements of the position.
- Must be wiling and able to stay at 4-H Camp Owahta (including overnights) the entire time Camp is in session.
- At least two year of administrative and/or supervisory experience in an organized camp.
- Experience in leadership roles or currently working in the education field.
- Previous camp staff experience.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, plan, organize, implement, teach and evaluate informational educational programs using a variety of delivery methods.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff including evaluation and conflict management.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate for safety, program area equipment and facilities.
- Desire and ability to work with children and young adults.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to one's peer group.
- Demonstrated ability to accept guidance and supervision.
- Demonstrated initiative, reliability, dependability, ability to manage resources, and motivational skills.
- Demonstrated self-starter.
- Provide leadership in budget development, program evaluation, grants procurement, marketing, program supervision, and educational program.
- Demonstrated effective and professional oral and written communication.
- Good character, integrity, adaptability, enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control.
- Oversee all aspects of daily operations of a residential youth summer camp.
- Prepare for the opening of the season, including inventory of equipment and educational materials as well as completing requisition forms for new materials.
- Assist in the closing of the season including inventory of equipment and educational materials.
- Implement and support camper activities and classes, including special programs (afternoon and/or evening).
- Provide guidance and support to staff, ability to address campers' special needs, conflict mediation (campers and/or staff), and special concerns (campers and/or staff).
- Design and implement development appropriate leadership training programs for various ages, maturity levels and skills.
- Assist the Executive Director in the development of staff in-service training programs, including pre-camp training of counseling staff.
- Plan and development camper activities and classes.
- Keep in direct communication with the Executive Director and Program Director regarding camper and staff activities.
- Evaluate programs of 4-H Camp Staff throughout the summer.
- Recommend 4-H campers for continued participation in leadership training programs and future staff positions.
- Coordinate and implement the orientation program.
- Participate in staff meetings and training events as scheduled.
- Work with the Executive Director to obtain American Camp Association (ACA) accreditation.
- Maintain a safe camping environment and abide by all Department of Health (DOH) regulations and the Camp Safety Manual.
- Oversee daily upkeep of camp facilities. Refer to the Maintenance Coordinator and Executive Director as necessary.
Health and Safety - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Support the Association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar with and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, Association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Cortland County policies, procedures and Cornell Cooperative Extension Skills for Success.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Association Tmp Camp Director
No Grade - Annual
Pay Rate Type:
Number of Openings:
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are support of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell Cooperative Extension as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
- Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Full time