Shearman & Sterling, LLP Accounting & Finance Intern in Melville, New York
**Experience You Will Gain**
Upon completion of the internship program, our interns will have gained meaningful, real-world experiences in key areas that demonstrate competencies such as: relationship building, analytical and organizational skills, and presentation skills.
- Apply classroom knowledge to assist a team responsible for the reconciliation and analysis of financial results
**Sample of Responsibilities by Functional Area**
The Summer Intern will be assigned to one or two functional areas, based on business needs and the interests of the Summer Intern. Following is a sample of types of work and responsibilities that the Summer Intern will participate in, by functional area.
Functional Area: Financial Reporting or Budgeting & Analysis
- Assist with analyzing revenue and expenses as well as budgets, forecasts and other financial data submitted by the Firm's various offices and administrative departments (e.g., departments such as technology, marketing, human resources).
- Assist with the preparation of various schedules relating to worldwide headcount, billing rates, collections, salaries, and operating expenses
- Prepare various monthly headcount schedules and reconcile information provided by Human Resources. Reconcile movement between various offices and Practice Groups via preparation of various rollforward reports. Discuss and resolve differences with Human Resources.
- Participate in peer review of work prepared by others in the group.
- Prepare various ad hoc analyses for management.
- Create financial models that employ a large number of variables and analyze results (e.g., new office pro-forma P&L's).
- Perform such other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time (e.g., short term rotations to other groups, assist with testing new systems, document processes.)
Functional Area: Accounts Payable
- Prepare and distribute updated Purchasing Card & Authorized signing agreements
- Update disbursement file with vendor descriptions
- Process vendor invoices into the financial system
Functional Area: Treasury Services
- Apply Daily Collections received
- Apply Write off requests, Personal and Partner applications
- Coordinate daily check deposits
Functional Area: Pricing & Client Analysis:
- Client and matter billing rates entry
- Updating documentation on client fee arrangements and entering of related notes in our billing system
- Drafting emails to partners/other key stakeholders for monthly, quarterly and annual processes, and logging/consolidating related responses
Functional Area: Partnership Matters:
- Assist in the preparation and publication of partner earnings statements
- Participate in the implementation of Xcelerate program for improved reporting efficiency
- Participate in the proofing of the Partner Financial statements
**Knowledge, Skills & Attributes**
- Ability to analyze financial results to identify unusual trends and balances, and research such trends and balances.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral).
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Ability to be proactive.
- Intermediate knowledge of Excel, Adobe, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Basic knowledge of accounting principles, GL and quarterly statements.
- Capable of efficiently compiling, analyzing, and reporting on data in an effective and professional manner.
- Fast learner, with the drive to learn and understand the nature of the Firm's business transactions in order to be able to identify unusual account variances and balances.
- Technology savvy, with the talent to quickly learn the Firm's financial systems.
**Education & Experience**
- Currently pursuing a degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Management Information Systems & Accounting, and Computer Systems Analysis & Accounting who are either in their 3rd year of a 4-year degree program or in the 4th year of a 5-year program. Finance interns who join us will be working during summer prior to their intended graduation year.
- Preferred cumulative and major GPA minimum: 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
**Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous**
- Ability to work extended hours during the budget season and at month-end.
- Ability to work non-business hours due to ad hoc requests.
Shearman & Sterling's compensation is merit-based. The good faith, annualized salary range for this position is $20 to $25 per hour depending on the candidate's overall experience and other job-related factors permitted by law such as, education, training, other responsibilities. The annual salary range listed is just one component of Sherman & Sterling's total compensation and benefits package which includes a discretionary bonus, paid leave, life, health, accident and disability insurance; and a 401(k) plan.