FMC Lab Analyst in Middleport, New York
FMC Corporation is a leading specialty company focused on agricultural technologies. FMC provides innovative and cost-effective solutions to enhance crop yield and quality by controlling a broad spectrum of insects, weeds and disease, as well as in non-agricultural markets for pest control.
FMC is a globally diverse organization that offers its employees exciting opportunities to work on challenging projects that are important to the achievement of our strategic objectives. Your education and professional experience are valued and put to use from day one. Your success at completing key initiatives can result in a varied, progressive and fulfilling career with FMC.
With a corporate culture of innovation, integrity, responsibility and customer intimacy, we foster The Right Chemistry in everything we do. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. If you are ready to make a difference every day, FMC is ready to talk to you.
This position will be responsible for conducting quality testing and providing analytical information on compounds, raw materials, intermediate products, finished goods and processes performed at FMC Middleport. The Lab Analyst will compile and summarize the results of the quality analysis into recommended clear and action oriented processes and/or quality improvement plans to ensure the highest quality results are generated and the highest quality goods are produced. Sampling and analysis of environmental and industrial hygiene conditions along with the maintenance and calibration of analytical equipment will also be performed by the Lab Analyst.Obtain and perform quality tests on samples of raw materials, intermediates and finished goods using the full spectrum of analytical tools and technology available. Record data, analyze and present analysis to the proper personnel.
* Conduct quality analysis, trend analysis, regression analysis and present summation of analysis with recommendations of improvement plans.
* Perform additional special tests as required, check weigh finished goods in plant packaging areas, compile and distribute product approval sheets, prepare samples for sample order requests, prepare and install LC and GC columns
* Conduct special testing and analysis in conjunction with new product development, trouble shooting of complaint samples and investigation/analysis of off-spec products and raw materials
* Assist in the technical expertise and knowledge of analytical chemistry; mentor less experienced lab analysts and provide analytical feedback/coaching to production employees.
* Collect, record, analyze and maintain environmental and industrial hygiene samples.
* Ensure samples in the control laboratory are processed fully, accurately and in a timely manner.
* Conduct the proper and safe handling of hazardous waste, where appropriate (e.g. sampling and/or filling of hazardous waste containers, transfer hazardous waste to proper locations, etc.)
* As needed, serve as back-up for Lead Analyst and respond to job requirements and other duties as needed/assigned.
Job Related Equipment
General laboratory and analytical sampling equipment, including: balances, glassware, Gas and HPLC chromatography, gas chromatograph/ Mass Spectrometer, specific ion meter, particle-size analyzer, QTA Near IR, sound level meters, industrial hygiene sampling pumps and environmental sampling instruments.
Lab Analysts will work in the control laboratory the majority of the time, but will regularly be required to go outside and into production areas. Some of these areas will be noisy, dusty and at prevailing seasonal temperatures and weather conditions. Work performed both in the control laboratory and in the production areas will expose lab analysts to moving machinery. Duties performed by analysts will require working with breaking glassware, hot equipment and solutions and heavily drums and containers of liquid hazardous chemicals and sample jars. Additionally, chemicals utilized by lab analysts are often hazardous and toxic and include acids, flammable and combustible solvents.
All PPE is described in the laboratory Job Safety Analysis form and in the lab safety procedures and include gloves, lab coats, glasses and goggles.
Lab Analysts are required to work safely and follow all safety rules and procedures. Attend monthly safety meetings, report all unsafe conditions to supervisors immediately and keep all tools and equipment in safe working condition. Lab Analysts will be encouraged to read and ask questions about safety material such as Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), Job Safety Analysis (JSA), and Job Safety Information (JSI) and know where to find them. Additionally, lab analysts should offer suggestions and seek answers concerning safety issues.
Security and Environmental Control
Report any conditions no matter how minor that could damage the environment surrounding the plant. Maintain integrity of environmental controls and perform job duties in a manner that will minimize waste.
BS/BA in Chemistry or equivalent preferred; Associate s Degree in Chemistry.
* At least one year experience using HPLC and GC chromatography preferred.
* Chemical manufacturing and wet chemical techniques highly preferred.
* Experience in spectroscopy and analytical chemistry and SPC skills preferred.
* Good computer skills (MS Office and MS Outlook) with SAP working knowledge preferred.
* Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication and collaborative skills
* Demonstrated sound decision making, problem solving and ability to react quickly under pressure
At FMC, diversity and inclusion are in our DNA. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to creating an inclusive workplace where all employees can thrive regardless of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, color, age, religion or religious creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. FMC also supports employee participation in company employee resource groups that celebrate the diverse backgrounds of our workforce by providing communities for employees to connect with each other and raise awareness throughout FMC.
Employer's Job# 2019-8925
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.