SCO Family of Services Teacher Assistant - Tyree Learning Center Pipeline in Nassau, New York
Purpose of the Position: Provide academic instruction ot students by implementing IEP goals. Work with the classroom team to develop a safe, respectful, positive, work environment where children can achieve their maximum potential. Serve as a member of the crisis team when requested to maintain the safety of students and staff.
Each Teacher Assistant is directly responsible for the welfare, activities, and program delivery of the students they are scheduled to work with. Daily work assignments and schedules are coordinated by the Classroom Teacher.
Attendance and Promptness:
- Staff are expected to arrive on time, to swipe their I.D. card and to sign in. Staff are expected to assist with the set up and breakdown of the classroom. Staff are expected to meet the students in the morning at the front entrances and walk students to meet the residential staff at the end of the day. Staff must always accompany students when they travel in the building, on the grounds and in the community.
- Before leaving, staff must swipe their I.D. cards and sign out.
- If staff cannot come to work, at least 2 hours notice must be given.
- Frequent absences and/or tardiness may result in disciplinary action.
- Teacher Assistants have one 30 minute break scheduled by the teacher.
- Attendance is required at in-service trainings and staff meetings.
- A prerequisite to hiring and for continuing employment is a yearly physical and PPD.
- Teach Assistants are required to attend Therapeutic Crisis Intervention Training, including completion of written and physical testing in order to maintain employment employment. This training will occur during initial period of employment and require a semi-annual refresher course in order to continue employment.
- Being Therapeutic:
- School staff should always focus on creating positive outcomes. Students, especially those who have trouble learning, become frustrated easily unless learning opportunities are presented at their level and their efforts are continually reinforced.
- The Teacher Assistant is expected to reinforce desired behavior in students, and follow the behavior plan.
- The Teacher Assistant should model appropriate social behavior and work attitudes.
- The Teacher Assistant should be an actively involved member of the classroom team.
- Teacher Assistants are expected to complete situation reports, restraint forms. and accident reports as needed.
- Participating in Programming: **
- Implementing behavior plans and documenting behavior data.
- Implementing IEP goals and documenting goal data.
- Informing teacher, clinicians, and team members of student concerns.
- Bringing suggested programming ideas/needs to the attention of the teacher.
Other Duties: ** * Relating to parents and community members in a friendly and cooperative manner. * Welcome and assist volunteers and new staff in becoming comfortable with students and curriculum. * Caring for the equipment and supplies in the classroom. Recommending purchases for needed supplies to the teacher. * Following guidelines for building security and parking regulations. * Participating in fire drills. * Drive van for class trips as requested or assigned ( with valid driver's license and approval). * During summer session, will accompany students in the pool during scheduled times. * Other duties and responsibilites as designated by the Principal/Assistant Principal.
Experience Required: * Preferred OMRDD experience. * Valid Driver's License preferred.
Education: * HIgh School Diploma. AA or BA preferred. * Behavior Management will be required.
Special Skills: * Ability to work with children who have multiple disabilities.
Must meet the requirements for NYS Teacher Assistant Certification.
Job: *TEACHER AIDE-OTHER
Title: Teacher Assistant - Tyree Learning Center Pipeline
Location: New York-Nassau-Sea Cliff
Requisition ID: 42607