Utica National Insurance Group Senior Systems Engineer in New Hartford, New York
If you seek a truly outstanding employment experience, Utica National is the place for you. We are always looking for conscientious, customer-oriented people - whether you're a seasoned insurance professional or just starting out. We offer a supportive and friendly work environment that features a variety of career paths.
We offer challenging assignments, advancement opportunities, full benefits packages, competitive salaries, and a great work environment. We're big enough to offer the opportunities you need to be successful, but not so big that you'll get lost in the crowd.
JOB DESCRIPTION:Responsible for planning, designing, developing, evaluating, testing, and integrating the organization’s systems infrastructure, including the implementation and design of hardware and software.
- ** **Implement new systems software and modifications without adverse effects on current production or testing.
- Assist with management and monitoring of installed systems and infrastructure
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies.
- Prepare material for Systems Analysts, Programmers and Operations personnel that describes effects and new requirements resulting from changes to system software.
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Provide technical guidance and support to application development staff.
- Define and enforce appropriate technical standards and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES:* *
- IT Standards, Procedures & Policies Knowledge of and ability to utilize a variety of skill sets and technical knowledge to support organizational IT policies, standards, and procedures.
- Participate in the implementation of IT standards and procedures in IT projects or services.
- Collaborates on development of templates for IT standards and procedures for technical business plans.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of IT policies through professional group discussions.
- IT: a Business Within a Business Knowledge of IT practices and business approaches
- Assesses the value and cost structures of multiple IT services or products.
- Consults on key issues and challenges of internal and external IT businesses.
- Compares and contrasts benefits and risks of internal and external IT services.
- Monitors and coordinates preventive and scheduled IT business models.
- Application Delivery Process Knowledge of and ability to utilize major tasks, deliverables, and formal application delivery methodologies to deliver new or enhanced applications.
- Performs all major development and delivery phases and activities.
- Contrasts the benefits, drawbacks and appropriateness of different methodologies.
- Utilizes industry experience and benchmarks to evaluate the effectiveness of methodologies applied during the application delivery process.
- IT Project Planning and Organization Knowledge of and ability to utilize a variety of specific tools and techniques for planning, estimating, resourcing and scheduling IT projects.
- Optimizes the IT project plan using the critical path method to ensure the completion of the project.
- Collaborates with the project administration office to allocate resources in IT project portfolios.
- Consults on tracking techniques for project progress; reports project status to optimize the IT project scheduling.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of IT project lifecycle implementation through professional group discussions.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience (or equivalent education) supporting and administering Server Environments (Infrastructure and hardware)
- Proven experience in administering Windows Server Environments, Active Directory and related systems
- Familiarity with/working knowledge of VMWare (vCenter and ESXi)
- Familiarity with/working knowledge of SAN Design and Administration
- Knowledge of Linux and/or AIX OS Administration is recommended but not required
- Knowledge of Citrix XenDesktop/XenApp (Virtual Apps and Desktops) is recommended but not required
- Familiarity with Information Security Best Practices recommended
- Strong customer service and follow-up skills
We believe strongly that talented people are core to our success and are attracted to companies that provide competitive pay, comprehensive benefits packages, career advancement and challenging work opportunities. We offer a Comprehensive Benefits Plan for full time employees that include the following:
- 401K plan
- Medical coverage
- Dental coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Vision care coverage
- Paid Time-Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Volunteer Day
- Employee and Dependent life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
- Discounts on automobile and homeowner's insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Credit Union membership
- Employees' Club
We offer both full and part time employment with the goal of providing work life balance to our talented workforce.
This is an exempt position. By applying for this position, you acknowledge that as an exempt employee, you should expect to find it necessary to work beyond your regular work schedule in order to fulfill the demands of the position. As such, in accepting our offer, you acknowledge and agree to fulfill this expectation.
As part of our hiring process, candidates must also pass a comprehensive background check and drug screen, additional screening for credit or MVR may be required for some positions.
Utica National is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply now and find out what it’s like to be a part of an amazing team, thrive in an exciting environment and work for a company you can be proud of. Once you complete your application, you can monitor your status in the hiring process by logging into your profile. A representative from our Talent Management Group will be in touch if you are moving forward. Candidates must meet company requirements on our online assessment test.
Req Id: 26837