Utica National Insurance Group Sr Personal Lines Underwriter in New Hartford, New York
If you seek a truly outstanding employment experience, Utica National is the place for you. We are always looking for conscientious, customer-oriented people - whether you're a seasoned insurance professional or just starting out. We offer a supportive and friendly work environment that features a variety of career paths.
We offer challenging assignments, advancement opportunities, full benefits packages, competitive salaries, and a great work environment. We're big enough to offer the opportunities you need to be successful, but not so big that you'll get lost in the crowd.
Personal Lines Senior Underwriters are responsible for underwriting risk (selection/rejection of new and renewal business) including complex risks and managing a profitable portfolio within their stated authority and guidelines. The Senior Underwriter will make underwriting decisions and apply insurance rules and regulations in accordance with guidelines and assigned authority levels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyzes and evaluates new submissions and renewal accounts to determine acceptability of the risk within parameters outlined within the Underwriting Authority PL Underwriter Document.
- Reviews, interprets and processes data from various sources, including applications forms and loss history.
- Able to articulate and practice principles of risk management including knowledge of exposure/hazard identification and control. Demonstrates high degree of understanding and familiarity with competitor’s price and products.
- Clearly communicates appetite, underwriting standards, declination reasons and coverage advantages to Agents and internal partners to ensure profitability and generate a flow of quality new business submissions and retention.
- Cultivates strong business relationships (internal and external) by proactively communicating and conveying ownership and commitment.
- Anticipates and meets the needs of customers and readily adjusts priorities to respond to pressing and changing client requirements.
- Manage a high volume agency assignment with increased authority limits at expected quality control results.
- Proactive independent travel to visit agents in their office to solicit new business and train office personal on company products and processes.
- Mentors and trains others.
- Able to prepare material for agency reviews and work with the account underwriter on agency production and loss ratio improvement plans.
- Demonstrates a high commitment to the company’s CDDO vision.
- 3-5 years experience in Personal Lines at a carrier.
We believe strongly that talented people are core to our success and are attracted to companies that provide competitive pay, comprehensive benefits packages, career advancement and challenging work opportunities. We offer a Comprehensive Benefits Plan for full time employees that include the following:
- 401K plan
- Medical coverage
- Dental coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Vision care coverage
- Paid Time-Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Volunteer Day
- Employee and Dependent life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
- Discounts on automobile and homeowner's insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Credit Union membership
- Employees' Club
We offer both full and part time employment with the goal of providing work life balance to our talented workforce.
This is an exempt position. By applying for this position, you acknowledge that as an exempt employee, you should expect to find it necessary to work beyond your regular work schedule in order to fulfill the demands of the position. As such, in accepting our offer, you acknowledge and agree to fulfill this expectation.
As part of our hiring process, candidates must also pass a comprehensive background check and drug screen, additional screening for credit or MVR may be required for some positions.
Utica National is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply now and find out what it’s like to be a part of an amazing team, thrive in an exciting environment and work for a company you can be proud of. Once you complete your application, you can monitor your status in the hiring process by logging into your profile. A representative from our Talent Management Group will be in touch if you are moving forward. Candidates must meet company requirements on our online assessment test.
Req Id: 27047