The Associated Press AP Election Researcher in New York, New York
The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks an independent contractor to serve as a researcher on a 2020 election project. The project entails field operations planning and heavy election research.
After a period of training and immersion in election research and operations details, the researcher will be assigned specific states and counties to focus on for the 2020 election season.
The contractor must be available to start in January 2020. The project ends a few weeks after the November 3, 2020 general election.
Project deliverables include:
* Researching and compiling various types of election data at the county level and precinct level, such as voter registration figures, demographics, election results, election practices and reporting expectations, absentee handling, and voting equipment details and usage.
* Special emphasis on precinct-level vote and boundary line history.
* Communicating with state and county election officials as needed.
* Working with AP field operations personnel, to facilitate hiring of election night stringers.
* Monitoring live election night tabulations throughout 2020 to analyze voting patterns and identify anomalies.
* Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in the American electoral system and media.
* The project will entail compiling large amounts of election information and data from a variety of federal, state and county sources that need to be successfully synthesized and manipulated in a pressurized, time-sensitive election night atmosphere.
* Must be available for long hours on election nights and generally during peak election season.
* Excellent communication skills and relationship-building aptitude, including a high comfort level with cold calls.
* The researcher must have the temperament to flourish in a collaborative and fluid team environment.
* Proficiency with MS Office skills: Excel (including formulas), Word required.
* Basic understanding of relational databases desired.
* Statistical coursework or experience a plus.
* SQL skills, GIS map software experience a plus.
Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory. Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English is required.
Application deadline is 11:59pm EST on January 21, 2020
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.
Employer's Job# 75242
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.