Ross Stores, Inc. Assistant Buyer I in New York, New York
ASSISTANT BUYER I
Who is Ross Stores?
Ross Stores, Inc. is a $15 billion off-price retailer with offices in the country’s major fashion hubs: New York City, Los Angeles and Boston. The Company operates two brands: Ross Dress for Less® ("Ross"), the largest off-price chain in the U.S. and dd’s DISCOUNTS®. Product offerings include everything from apparel to accessories and home fashions for the entire family across 1,700 store locations. Ross Stores, Inc. is a growing company, opening about 90 new stores annually with an ultimate goal of 3,000 locations! As you can imagine, there are plenty of opportunities for you to grow here, too!
What Ross Stores Offers You:
- A large investment in Associates through extensive onboarding programs and continuous learning opportunities
- A focus on growing and promoting internal talent
- A big company with a family feeling
- A hands on leadership team with close engagement at all levels
- A culture embedded with teamwork and humility
- An opportunity to give back to your community
- And did we mention… Summer Fridays and holiday closure!
What is an Assistant Buyer at Ross?
The Assistant Buyer is a true learning role that allows you to build a foundation of merchant skills. As an Assistant Buyer, you will assist the buying team in advancing the business while learning key processes and providing operational support to your Buyer. You will begin to build your product knowledge and understand what the Ross Stores customer wants!
What you would do?
- Perform the administrative functions supporting the buying team, including purchase order management, while building foundational merchant skills
- Provide basic analysis of key business data and reporting, as directed by Buyer, including the monitoring of regional merchandise reports, Open-To-Buy, stock analysis and other ad hoc reports
- Develop effective relationships with vendors and appropriately interact with them to follow up on open business issues, as directed by Buyer
- Begin to effectively utilize the merchandising systems and understand warehouse process
- Develop and demonstrate basic product knowledge through sharing information with Buyer as a result of competitive shopping, shopping Ross Stores, and the market
- Ensure timely delivery of merchandise through communication with Buyer, merchant teams, and external vendors
- Support Buyers in preparation of key business meetings (i.e. vendor appointments, style-outs, assortment planning)
What you bring to the table:
- A passion for product!
- A desire to learn, grow and engage
- An understanding and prior use of retail math
- A team player attitude
- A drive for results
Why you are qualified:
- You are proficient in Excel
- You have a Bachelor’s degree
- You are organized and pay attention to detail
- You are a strong communicator