The New School Assistant Director of Graduate Admission, Parsons in New York, New York
The New School is committed to creating and maintaining an environment that promises diversity and tolerance in all areas of employment, education and access to its educational, artistic or cultural programs and activities. The New School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed, sex or gender (including actual or perceived gender identity or expression or transgender status), sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, pregnancy, religion, religious practices, mental or physical disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, marital or partnership status, or any other legally protected status.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Graduate Admission for The New School, the Assistant Director will manage the day-to-day communication activities for the Parsons graduate and associate programs as well as represent The New School’s full range of graduate degree program offerings at recruitment events on and off campus. To achieve enrollment goals, the successful individual will work closely with faculty, administrators, current and prospective students at Parsons School of Design. This position will assist in all phases of the recruitment/admissions process.
This position is based at our NYC campus and requires extensive travel throughout the United States, and potential for international travel as planned. The incumbent must be flexible to work weekends and evenings during high travel season and other high volume admission times. The New School is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and particularly seeks applications from members of underrepresented groups, as well as candidates who share this commitment.
• Represents Parsons as well as The New School graduate programs in a full range of recruitment and admission activities and special events both on and off campus
• Interview and counsel students on admission requirements and provide basic financial aid and scholarship information to prospective student and families
• Oversee the processing, scheduling, and review of admission applications for assigned graduate school(s) within Parsons School of Design.
• Liaise with graduate academic programs regarding the review, recruitment and outreach activities for their academic disciplines.
• Oversight and lead of an essential team operation. With consideration for the candidate’s background, these projects may include: the management of the graduate-wide travel recruitment plan, the supervision of student employees, and/or the planning and writing of student-facing communications.
• Application file review for graduate degree applications
• Create hiring plans for efficient onboarding and use of busy season temp staff as needed (for file reading and travel)
• Participate as Parsons graduate team strategist for innovative event planning on- and off-campus; information sessions, National Portfolio Day, Open House, online chats and webinars, FaceBook Live and Admitted Student Days.
• Execute and analyze reports to assess effectiveness of admission rating policies and procedures and resulting merit awards
• Collaborates with the Senior Director of Graduate Admission to implement recruitment strategies, and conduct relevant planning initiatives for recruitment and outreach
• Management of projects as assigned by the Senior Director of Graduate Admission
• Bachelor’s degree required
• 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience in admissions
• Demonstrated computer knowledge/skills such as MS Office
• Knowledge of Adobe Suite programs is desired
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Strong professional, interpersonal and presentation skills
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and the progressive mission of The New School
• Valid driver’s license
• Ability to travel
• Saturday and evening hours are required
• Master’s degree
• BANNER , Slate experience desirable
• Art background or previous experience working in art/design field or admissions