Ross Stores, Inc. Assistant Planner in New York, New York
About Ross Stores:
Ross Stores, Inc. is an S&P 500, Fortune 500 and Nasdaq 100 (ROST) Company headquartered in Dublin, California, with fiscal 2018 revenues of $15 billion. The Company operates Ross Dress for Less® (“Ross”), the largest off-price apparel and home fashion chain in the United States with 1,480 locations in 38 states, the District of Columbia and Guam. The Company also operates over 230 dd’s DISCOUNTS® locations in 18 states that feature a more moderately-priced assortment of first-quality, in-season, name brand apparel, accessories, footwear and home fashions for the entire family at everyday savings.The company’s merchandise mix and assortments are constantly evolving as merchants and planners focus on what customers want to buy and respond by delivering great discounts on a wider variety of name brand merchandise. With its solid management team, proven off-price concept, strong cash flow and return on equity, Ross is ideally positioned to successfully execute its growth strategies.
At Ross you will find:
• A career that fits you
• Amazing culture and people
• Big company with a family feeling
• Customer focus
Are you ready for the next big move in your career? We look forward to hearing from you!
The culture demands hands-on, close engagement at all levels, and the ability to think and act strategically. Within this culture, there are many opportunities to attain and even exceed personal goals quickly while partnering with professionals across multiple categories. This creates a win-win culture with a rigorous standard of performance for everyone.
Structured for growth and profitability, individuals are measured on performance rather than process. What this yields is an environment that is invigorating and offers a clear, compelling reward system for the team.
Additional information is available at:
About this Job:
The Assistant Planner will focus on maximizing Sales potential and Inventory productivity at the Region and Store level for a specific business. As an Assistant Planner, you will be responsible for managing In-Season plans and building Pre-Season plans in support of Regional strategies. You will develop an understanding of key performance indicators, such as performance to plan, same-store Sales and turn, in order to support your recommendations.
In-Season activities will occur monthly and include an ongoing review of future plans to ensure reasonability against current performance. You will learn how to propose recommendations based on your analysis. Responsibilities will also include preparing and delivering performance recaps to cross-functional teams.
For Pre-Season, you will develop Region plans and present your recommendations and thought process to the Location Planning Manager. You will recommend product flow due to seasonality and customer demographics and align with the Merchandise Planning team to implement product assortment initiatives. The Assistant Planner is responsible for assisting the Location Planning Manager in advancing the business while developing analytical and decision making skills and learning key business processes.
- Analyze performance using standardized reports prepared monthly
- Review future plans based on historical performance and knowledge of future business conditions (e.g. product availability and assortment strategies)
- Identify risks and/or opportunities by product and Region
- Begin to learn how to propose recommendations (i.e., influence changes to be made) to Region plans to Location Planning Manager and implement approved changes into the planning system
- Prepare hindsight analysis and collaborate with Merchandise Planning counterpart at key fiscal points (e.g. events/holidays and quarterly)
- Partner with Location Planning Manager to conduct hindsight reviews to present findings to Senior leadership
- Propose recommendations in order to capitalize on opportunities and/or reduce risk for next year (e.g. influence product flow changes to drive sales/reduce liabilities)
- Work with cross-functional teams (Store Planning and Allocation) to implement Store strategies and address callouts and errors
- Utilize forecast to evaluate future Store plans against system parameters
- Analyze historical performance and develop skills to propose flow strategies to Location Planning Manager
- Partner with Merchandise Planning counterpart to inform the Chain plans of Region recommendations
- Under Location Planning Manager’s direction, develop Region plans by applying their independent hindsight analysis and known assortment strategies to update the initial system generated plans
- Review higher product levels to validate the mix of assortment within a Region using additional reporting tools
- Present recommended plans to Location Planning Manager in a formal meeting for continued learning
- Recommend store lists for limited door product opportunities and analyze different store groups (e.g. door rankings, target demographics) to determine location strategies and initiatives
- Modify system generated Store level plans by resolving outliers and exceptions
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Demonstrates strong analytical and quantitative skills with strong math background and success with analytical projects
- Prior work experience and retail knowledge preferable but not required
- Demonstrates strong analytical and quantitative skills