Ross Stores, Inc. Associate Buyer in New York, New York
About Ross Stores:
Ross Stores, Inc. is an S&P 500, Fortune 500 and Nasdaq 100 (ROST) Company headquartered in Dublin, California, with fiscal 2018 revenues of $15 billion. The Company operates Ross Dress for Less® ("Ross"), the largest off-price apparel and home fashion chain in the United States with 1,480 locations in 38 states, the District of Columbia and Guam. The Company also operates over 230 dd’s DISCOUNTS® locations in 18 states that feature a more moderately-priced assortment of first-quality, in-season, name brand apparel, accessories, footwear and home fashions for the entire family at everyday savings.
The company’s merchandise mix and assortments are constantly evolving as merchants and planners focus on what customers want to buy and respond by delivering great discounts on a wider variety of name brand merchandise. With its solid management team, proven off-price concept, strong cash flow and return on equity, Ross is ideally positioned to successfully execute its growth strategies.
At Ross you will find:
- A career that fits you
- Amazing culture and people
- Big company with a family feeling
- Customer focus
Are you ready for the next big move in your career? We look forward to hearing from you!
The culture demands hands-on, close engagement at all levels, and the ability to think and act strategically. Within this culture, there are many opportunities to attain and even exceed personal goals quickly while partnering with professionals across multiple categories. This creates a win-win culture with a rigorous standard of performance for everyone.
Structured for growth and profitability, individuals are measured on performance rather than process. What this yields is an environment that is invigorating and offers a clear, compelling reward system for the team.
Additional information is available at:
About this job:
The Associate Buyer will establish strong relationships with vendors. Will partner with buyers to ensure merchandise mix in an attempt to continually improve assortments by comp shopping not only the Market but Ross Stores. Associate Buyer will be responsible for anticipating potential problems and risks; generate ideas, insights and solutes to resolve or "head off" potential problems. Partners with all operational and analytical (Merchandise Planning, Store Planning, DC's and dd’s) divisions to achieve objectives, and proactively soliciting partnerships with colleagues on crossover vendors to increase leverage.
- Responsible for managing the OTB to ensure the availability of having liquidity for opportunistic buys
- Manages receipts in terms of balancing assortments and flexing from flow versus packaway
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility in negotiating for packaway goods to offset additional costs of storing merchandise (e.g. additional dating, vendors holding merchandise etc.).
- Understands the need to budget and release packaway merchandise in a proactive and cost effective manner.
- Conceptualizes the necessity of taking calculated risks in securing merchandise/opportunistic buys into packaway.
- Collaborates closely and builds trust among vendors/cross-functional partners to drive desires results
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Requires a minimum of 3 years prior buying experience either buying in regional-size retailer (or associate buyer in large retail chain)
- Thorough knowledge of merchandising and technical aspects of merchandising (e.g., fabric, design, silhouettes, etc.)
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to partner and influence vendors/cross-functional partners
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills
- Strong retail math skills
- Strong analytical and PC skills, with an emphasis on spreadsheet applications