The New School Associate Director, Marketing, Open Campus in New York, New York
Since our founding in 1919, The New School has pushed the boundaries of knowledge and creativity. Today, we are a comprehensive university with a unique multi-dimensional academic approach designed to foster deep critical thinking and creative problem solving, enabling students to actualize their potential and their vision. In addition to more than 130 programs for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students, the university offers continuing education programs for adults, pre-college, and school-age children. Part of the mission of the university Marketing & Communication department (M&C) is elevating visibility of these groundbreaking programs in order to help the university achieve its enrollment and revenue goals.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Open Campus Marketing & Outreach, the Associate Director will provide market context and audience intelligence to guide both academic portfolio development and marketing activity, while also serving as steward of key marketing channels. Demonstrating keen analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills, as well as a willingness to innovate, s/he will collaborate with colleagues across the University to build awareness for and drive enrollment and revenue of continuing, professional, and pre-college programs.
Market Research ● Support Senior Director in gathering industry data: assessment of continuing and online education and labor market trends, competitive analysis, and audience intelligence ● Leverage available education and labor industry research tools and resources to explore new program opportunities, validate programs, and inform marketing and messaging strategies ● Support Senior Director in execution of market research initiatives such as surveys, focus-groups and one-on-ones, including analysis and reporting/presentation of findings
Digital Marketing/ Paid Media ● Oversee lead-gen and acquisition efforts across paid search, display, paid social, behavioral and retargeting media, and new tactics/channels as they emerge, constantly seeking ways to improve conversion rates through testing and iteration of ads and landing page optimization. ● Direct agency partner(s) in the development of near and long-term media strategy and the execution of day-to-day digital marketing activities that increase site traffic, drive qualified leads and/or on-site conversions and revenue. ● Work closely with Open Campus Marketing Manager in the development of third-party marketing campaigns, ensuring an integrated approach to both audience development and creative execution. ● Monitor marketing budgets and performance, forecasting spend and comparing to prior year performance. Report on KPIs and identify opportunities for improvement on a monthly and campaign/seasonal basis. ● Coordinate copy and ad design with in-house creative design team or outsource as needed. ● Manage day-to-day vendor relationships including briefing, providing assets, processing invoices, and other channel management requirements. ● Act as the New School and Open Campus’ brand advocate, ensuring that all creative communications meet brand guidelines (as expressed visually, verbally, tonally and behaviorally). ● Research and evaluate new channels, vendors, and partners for consideration. ● Stay current with new advances in online marketing, ad platform updates, social media, and the competitive landscape. ● Work with outside vendors and internal teams to implement effective campaign tracking and ensure online activities are actively captured in appropriate systems. ● Contribute to preparation of timely, comprehensive reports on a seasonal basis that aggregate and synthesize outcomes of marketing initiatives across multiple channels to inform marketing strategy.
CRM ● Work with Open Campus colleagues and TNS IT to implement and manage CRM and marketing automation systems ● Develop and execute CRM strategies to optimize the conversion path from inquiry to enrollment, establishing metrics and benchmarks ● Oversee tracking and management of outreach pipelines to meet enrollment and revenue goals
Partnerships & Activations ● Oversee partnership marketing programs, from development through post-launch, ensuring compliance with brand guidelines and program execution aligned with the New School’s reputation, while building strong relationships to support revenue growth. ● Identify opportunities for brand-enhancing activations to target current and reach new audiences via third-parties. ● Manage planning and execution of activations and events. ● Research, propose, budget, and implement specific activation and/or partnership opportunities.
Content Development ● In conjunction with Open Campus Marketing Manager, support efforts to grow Open Campus content library of digital assets, including video, photography, student and faculty profiles, and new modalities of digital engagement as appropriate. ● Brief and manage in-house creative team, agency and/or freelance resources in message development and asset production
● BA/BS in Marketing, Business, Economics, or Humanities
● Minimum of 5 years’ experience in direct/ digital marketing, preferably in higher education
● Experience with market research concepts and techniques
● Strong analytical skills with meticulous attention to detail; a “test and learn” approach to projects.
● Proven track record of account management and performance optimization of simultaneous campaigns across Google Ads, Facebook Ads Manager, and Google Analytics
● Ability to measure and report on campaign ROI and lead generation success using quantitative analysis and data visualization. Strong critical-thinking and independent problem-solving skills
● High level of technical knowledge to support data-driven, technology dependent marketing programs (feeds, interfaces, databases)
● Proficiency in crafting copy for direct-response ads and sponsored content ● Ability to work in fast-paced environment and respond to changing priorities. ● Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to collaborate and share insights and recommendations within the team environment ● Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs, including advanced knowledge of Excel (pivot tables, VLOOKUP, etc.) ● Advanced knowledge of Google Analytics
● Agency experience and/or knowledge of higher education marketing practices ● Experience with marketing automation platforms ● Experience with CRM systems ● Experience working in website CMS ● Experience with Google Tag Manager ● Working knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign