Nature America, Inc Associate Editor in New York, New York
Springer Nature opens the doors to discovery for researchers, educators, clinicians and other professionals. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals, platforms and technology solutions reach millions of people. For over 175 years our brands and imprints have been a trusted source of knowledge to these communities and today, more than ever, we see it as our responsibility to ensure that fundamental knowledge can be found, verified, understood and used by our communities enabling them to improve outcomes, make progress, and benefit the generations that follow.
Visit: [group.springernature.com](https:%20//group.springernature.com/gp/group) and follow [@SpringerNature](https:%20//twitter.com/SpringerNature)
Under limited supervision of the Senior Editor, the Associate Editor manages the development and workflow of assigned titles from signed contract to publication. The role involves extensive commissioning, author contact, manuscript review, long range planning for growth and development of the program. Responsible for a mixture of minimum 4-5 monthly, bimonthly, and/or quarterly journals
- Actively acquires and commissions content for journals with an annual increase determined by management.
- Sends invitations and author guidelines to Editors-in-Chief, Section Editors, and Authors. Works with Production to ensure all required forms are signed, completed, and returned by Authors.
- Manages development of journals from signed contract to handover of final manuscript, working with Senior Editor, Production Editors, and Editors-in-Chief to ensure that schedules and journal program requirements are met, title content is as planned for market, and high editorial standards are achieved.
- Respond to author/editor needs and establishing long-term, ongoing good-will relationship with journal contributors.
- Develops yearly Journal Improvement Plans to address pending issues and manage journal expectations.
- Holds twice-yearly editorial board meetings to discuss journal status and evaluate content requirements.
- Develops and maintains international Editorial Boards.
- Keeps JFlow and Springer.com accurate and up-to-date adding information as needed.
- Works with Editor-in-Chief to secure late manuscripts, or when a manuscript cannot be procured, work with Editor-in-Chief to develop alternate plans for completing an issue per journal plan.
- Researches journal field to determine if content change is necessary to keep the journal current.
- Researches and discusses new projects with editorial colleagues particularly in overlapping areas.
- Process all manuscripts through iThenticate to evaluate papers for plagiarism.
- Supervises final editorial preparation of manuscripts for production.
- Keeps detailed records for each project, and the status of each article as it moves through the editorial to production systems.
- Approximately 5%-10% travel as well as strong initiative and independent functioning.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelors degree.
- Minimum 1 to 2 years experience in related editorial capacity.
- Must be highly organized and attentive to detail.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) in order to deal with people at all levels within the company and with external contacts
- Must be proficient in MS Word and Excel.
- Must be able to manage several projects at once and set/reset priorities as necessary. Must be self-motivated with a professional approach and can-do attitude.
*At Springer Nature we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.*
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD& D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature isan Equal Opportunity Employer that complieswith the laws and regulations set forth in the following Equal Employment Opportunity IsThe Law poster:
Visitthe Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at[www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs](http:%20//www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs "http: //www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs")for more information about ourResearch E& P career opportunities.
Equal Opportunity Employer-minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity