Nature America Inc Associate or Senior Editors, Communications Medicine in New York, New York
Springer Nature opens the doors to discovery for researchers, educators, clinicians and other professionals. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals, platforms and technology solutions reach millions of people. For over 175 years our brands and imprints have been a trusted source of knowledge to these communities and today, more than ever, we see it as our responsibility to ensure that fundamental knowledge can be found, verified, understood and used by our communities enabling them to improve outcomes, make progress, and benefit the generations that follow.Visit: group.springernature.com and follow @SpringerNature
Job Title: Associate or Senior Editors (x2) - Communications Medicine
Locations: London, New York or Berlin
Closing date: July 17th 2020
Nature Research is the worlds leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences, and is rapidly expanding its footprint in the medical sciences. We are currently seeking two Associate/Senior Editors to join Communications Medicine - a new multidisciplinary open access medical journal that spans all areas of medicine and human health research. The journal will complement our existing Nature Research open access titles, Nature Communications and Scientific Reports, as well the growing portfolio of Communications journals that includes Communications Biology.
The successful candidates would, during the pre-launch and launch phase of Communications Medicine, in addition be affiliated with another medical journal in the broader Springer Nature portfolio by supporting that journals growth, while receiving on-the-job editorial training and fostering inter-journal relationships.
The Associate/Senior editor role may be what you are looking for if you feel that a career in research does not satisfy your desire to learn about a wide variety of scientific topics and you are interested in helping to bring exciting medical research to a global audience while having a positive impact on the peer review process.
The responsibilities include:
- Handling original research papers and working closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review.
- Making well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice.
- Guiding and assisting external editors with the tasks listed above
- Liaising extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature Research and broader Springer Nature family, and with experts in the international scientific community.
- Attending conferences and visiting research institutions.
- Commissioning Reviews and Comment articles and writing Editorials.
- Ensuring Production receives manuscripts in an appropriate and complete state.
- Other tasks as required.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline within medical research. Post-doctoral experience would be advantageous but not essential.
- A genuine passion for scientific communication and promoting rigor and transparency in reporting research.
- Enthusiasm for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of medical research.
- An eagerness to network with scientists and clinicians worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for the Senior Editor position. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis and will be located in our London, New York or Berlin offices. All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in their preferred location.
To apply: Applicants should include a CV and a cover letter explaining their interest in the post, any prior editorial experience, and their preferred office of employment.
Application closing date: 17 July 2020
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD& D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Springer Nature isan Equal Opportunity Employer that complieswith the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Visitthe Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website atwww.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobsfor more information about ourResearch E& P career opportunities.
Equal Opportunity Employer-minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity