Ross Stores, Inc. Buyer, Beauty in New York, New York
Welcome to Ross Stores, Inc., where our differences make us stronger… At Ross and dd’s, inclusion is a way of life. We care about our Associates and the communities we serve and we value their differences. We are committed to building diverse teams and an inclusive culture. We respect and celebrate the diversity of backgrounds, identities, and ideas of those who work and shop with us. Come join us as we continue our diversity, equality and inclusion journey!
About Ross Stores, Inc.
Since 1982, our focus has been on bringing our customers a constant stream of high quality brands and trends at extraordinary savings, while providing a fun and exciting treasure hunt experience. We believe in keeping things simple: no expensive signage, displays or fancy fixtures - to us, it's far more meaningful to pass greater savings on to our customers with on trend apparel, accessories, footwear, and home furnishings. With more than 1,900 stores, including Ross Dress for Less and dd's DISCOUNTS, we are the nation's largest off-price retail chain, and we continue to grow at a rate far outpacing traditional retail.
With corporate headquarters located in Dublin, CA, we have three buying offices positioned in key markets in New York City, Los Angeles, and Boston, as well as seven state-of-the-art distribution centers across the country. With FY2021 revenues of $18.9 billion, we are a Fortune 500, S&P 500, and Nasdaq 100 Company, committed to offering an inclusive, safe and positive workplace. Come see what's in store.
As part of the Ross family you will experience:
- A respectful culture embedded with collaborative partnerships and humility
- Opportunities to give back to your community through national charities, local volunteer initiatives, and our Ross Cares Fund
- A significant investment in your career through extensive onboarding programs, continuous learning opportunities, ongoing development and the opportunity to work with engaged and knowledgeable industry leaders
Additional information is available at: https://jobs.rossstores.com/creative/about
About this opportunity ....
The Buyer will be responsible for managing their specific product division which includes the selection, purchase and delivery of merchandise which adheres to the merchandise philosophy of quality, price, fashion and brand.
- Manages opportunistic buying responsibility (based on vendors or classifications) and accountability for sales and margin performance.
- Manages receipts in terms of balancing assortments and flexing from flow versus packaway.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility in negotiating for packaway goods to offset additional costs of storing merchandise (e.g. additional dating, vendors holding merchandise etc.).
- Provides on-going analysis and interpretation of key business issues. This includes monitoring regional merchandise reports (i.e., Cold & Warm Store Strategies), Open-to-Buy monitoring, stock analysis and other ad hoc analysis.
- Proactively networks with vendors regarding available merchandise and will negotiate directly on purchases. This includes frequent visits to showrooms, selecting product and handling negotiations, either independently or in conjunction with their supervisor.
- Shops all competing and Ross/dd's stores to identify opportunities, trends and labels.
Who you are ...
- You have a minimum of 4 - 6 years retail merchandising buying experience.
- You have extensive vendor negotiation and interaction.
- You have experience with close-out or opportunistic buying preferred.
- You have thorough knowledge of merchandising and technical aspects of merchandising (e.g., fabric, design, silhouettes, etc.).
- You have strong negotiation skills.
- You have strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- You have recent experience in product categories.
- You have the ability to partner and influence vendors/cross-functional partners.
- You have highly effective written and verbal communication skills.
- You have strong retail math skills.
- You have strong PC skills, with an emphasis on spreadsheet applications.
Perks and Benefits of joining our team....
Our Associates are at the heart of everything we do and we're proud to offer a range of benefits that reflect how much we value their contributions. Here's a peek into what you can expect as an eligible Ross Associate:
- A broad range of affordable health insurance options*, 401(k) with employer match*, life insurance*
- Ample PTO, paid holidays, and Summer Fridays, as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation*
- Employee stock purchase plan*
- Charitable donations matched by Ross Stores Foundation
- Enhanced maternity and bonding leaves with 100% income replacement*
- Parent support programs
- And more....
* eligibility may vary based on level and tenure, subject to change