American Museum Of Natural History Children and Family Learning Animal Care Assistant in New York, New York
Children and Family Learning Animal Care Assistant | |
Children and Family Learning Animal Care Assistant Department
Education (YI) - 052 Position Summary
The American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in New York City is one of the premier science research and cultural institutions in the country. The AMNH is seeking an Animal Care Assistant to perform care and maintenance of the ambassador animal collection of the Children and Family Learning (CFL) division of the Department of Education. Responsible for a variety of programs that serve children of ages 2-10 and their caregivers, the CFL division oversees the administration of summer camp programming, elementary weekend and after school events, multi-year science enrichment programs, large scale family outreach festivals, and the Museum's Discovery Room exhibit.
The Animal Care Assistant plays a supporting role in maintaining the health and safety of a collection of roughly 70 live animal habitats spanning a wide range of taxa used within the programs and spaces of the Children and Family Learning division at AMNH. The Assistant will be responsible for basic cleaning and feeding of habitats, preparation of diets, documentation of care, and may additionally be asked to assist in the design and construction of new enclosures. The assistant will also participate in the development and delivery of live animal demonstrations for visitors and families in CFL programs, as well as working alongside the Animal Husbandry Specialist to provide staff training in animal handling and demonstration methods for educators, volunteers and interns in the Children and Family Learning department.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Perform husbandry tasks, as well as habitat design and maintenance, for a collection of live reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates, mammals, and aquatics.
* Assist in documentation of the health and care of animals and the ongoing review and refinement of care schedules and routines.
* Maintain animal care and maintenance supply stocks, order supplies when needed.
* Serve as point of contact for animal care volunteers and interns, as needed.
* Facilitate visitor interactions and lead live animal demonstrations in programs and exhibits across the Children and Family Learning division.
* Support CFL Educators in their use of ambassador animals in classroom experiences.
* Other duties as assigned. Required Qualifications
* Demonstrated knowledge of animal husbandry requirements and techniques for small exotic animals.
* High School Diploma and at least 2 years of undergraduate academic experience in a natural science related field. Preferred Qualifications
* Experience working with children in an informal science setting. Physical Demands
Part-Time/Term Total Number of Scheduled Hours Per Pay Period
40 Union Status
Non-Exempt EEO Statement
The American Museum of Natural History is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The Museum does not discriminate with respect to employment, or admission or access to Museum facilities, programs or activities on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, current or former participation in the uniformed services, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin, or on account of any other basis prohibited by applicable City, State, or Federal law. Additional protections are afforded in employment based on arrest or conviction record, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, unemployment status, and credit history, in each case to the extent provided by law. If special accommodations are needed in applying for a position, please call the Office of Human Resources. Quick Link
Posting Detail Information
GS273P Open Date
02/11/2020 Close Date
Open Until Filled
Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*). Documents Needed To Apply
Cover LetterOptional Documents
The American Museum of Natural History is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.