Guest Services, Inc. Culinary Institute of America Externship - Bear Mountain Culinary in New York, New York
**GREAT PEOPLE | GREAT BENEFITS | JOIN OUR ALL-STAR TEAM!**
**Culinary Institute of America Externship - Bear Mountain Culinary**
Please note: this application is for current Culinary Institute of America students who are eligible to apply for their internship/externship. If you are not a current student at the Culinary Institute, please click here to be routed to a list of current openings at Bear Mountain.
The Bear Mountain Inn at Bear Mountain State Park currently features the Bear Mountain Inn with 15 guest rooms, Overlook Lodge with 24 guest rooms, and 4 stone cottages along the Hessian Lake which each have 6 guest suites and lakefront patios. In addition to guest rooms, Bear Mountain Inn is a full-service property and resort with a restaurant, bar, caf?, gift shop, concession stand and recreation activities including boating. At Bear Mountain Inn, we have 20,000 square feet of banquet space hosting beautiful and exquisite weddings and events.
Externs in culinary will be able to learn many aspects of the various culinary environments such as bar, restaurant, banquets, pastry, food prep, cleanliness and much more. Externs will have the opportunity to learn from a seasoned, highly-skilled chef who will provide mentorship and assistance to develop skills in all areas of the culinary field.
Ideal candidates will be highly motivated, strong desire to learn and adapt, multi-tasking and possess a professional attitude. Candidate must have a guest-centric mindset and willing to assist guests and colleagues in all fashions.
**14 Week Curriculum**
- **Introduction to Sanitation and Proper Handling of Perishable and Non-Perishable Goods in a Professional Kitchen**
- Students will be responsible for maintaining a clean organized workstation that will include strict adherence to NYS safety protocols as well as maintaining temperature logs for all hot and cold held foods and refrigerators and freezers they are in contact with.
- **Proper Butchering of Meats and Fish.**
- Students will have a comprehensive look into proper ways of receiving, verifying, cleaning, and butchering various types of meat, poultry, and shellfish, as well as how to properly store items to optimize freshness and shelf life.
- **Introduction to Working a Hot Line/Garde Manger**
- Students will have a hands-on approach to creating and maintaining mise en place, including proper ways to create pars for stations as well as ways to best facilitate storage of mise en place for seamless execution of service.
- **Introduction to Proper Inventory and Ordering Methods**
- Here students will get a firsthand look at the processes necessary to have a successfully stocked kitchen with all necessary food, sundries, uniforms, and equipment. Establishment of pars for all goods as well as strict adherence to rotation of perishables using the FIFO method, as well as properly labeling all items for proper identification and to limit any chance of cross contamination or exposure to allergens.
- **Regular 1-on-1 sessions with Executive Chef**
- **Uniform Requirements: Students may wear their Culinary Institute of America uniform while at Bear Mountain.**
- **Scheduling: Externs can expect to work 40 hours per week during their externship. Shift days/times will vary based on the needs of the business.**
Pay is $14/hour
In accordance with Guest Services, Inc.'s (Guest Services)duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, wemaintain a vaccination policy to safeguard the health of our employees andtheir families; our customers and visitors; and the community at large frominfectious diseases, such as COVID-19. All team members are required to complywith the vaccination policy which requires vaccinations subject to approvedexemptions. Weekly testing and daily masking are required for all team memberswho are not fully vaccinated. Any team member not in compliance with thispolicy will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including terminationof employment.
Guest Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.