Penguin Random House LLC Design Assistant - Penguin Young Readers in New York, New York
Design Assistant– Penguin Young Readers
Are you looking for an opportunity that combines your love of children’s books with your passion for design and illustration? Then we may have the perfect opportunity for you! Viking Children’s Books, Philomel Books and Flamingo Books, imprints in the Penguin Young Readers division, are searching for a Design Assistant to join their Art department.
Our seven-member team has the privilege to work on books that are innovative, witty, dedicated to quality and whose aim is to enlighten, inspire and empower young readers. Contemporary books such as the She Persisted series, Last Kids on Earth, the Llama Llama series, Alex Rider, and The Day the Crayons Quit as well as classics such as Corduroy, Madeline, Redwall, and Owl Moon. What we love about our design group is the collaborative atmosphere, good humor and conviction to make the best package possible for our audience. And this position will provide a solid foundation to get started in one’s design career in kids publishing. The Design Assistant will immediately hit the ground running supporting several New York Times best-selling series as well as taking ownership of various coordination tasks for the entire group in order to gain a firm grasp of publishing from the ground up. This is a new position that has room for great career growth potential. If this job sounds like a good fit for you, please apply and share your reasons why in your cover letter. We look forward to hearing from you!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Working with the design staff on the creation of jackets and interiors across a variety of formats, including board books, picture books, chapter books, graphic novels, and middle grade and young adult novels.
• Preparing files and other materials for book production and adhering to production schedules.
• Providing support on books from sketches through bound books, e-books and reprints.
• Creating materials for seasonal list presentations.
• Performing and managing administrative duties such as: contracts/agreements, billing, archiving, coordinating art meetings with illustrators, art show submissions, returning artwork to illustrators, organizing flat files, and maintaining supplies.
• Strong design background and excellent typographic skills
• Proven ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and Microsoft Office Suite
• Previous design internship experience a plus!
Salary for the Assistant level is $45,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Company: Penguin Random House LLC Country: United States of America State/Region: New York City: New York City Postal Code: 10019 Job ID: 160256
Penguin Random House LLC
- Penguin Random House LLC Jobs